Material direction

How do you set the orientation of the material’s texture mapping? I thought I had it finally figured out in Rhino 5, but Rhino 6 is a complete mystery. Nothing I have tried changes the mapping direction.

Could you share some screenshots and/or upload your model? What have you tried so far? The more information you provide, the easier it will be for the community to jump in and help.

If you haven’t checked out this page yet, it might be a good place to start.

One of two places controls this and they can each have an impact. The objects texture mapping in the Properties panel and also the assigned material’s texture map’s settings. Use the Materials panel to adjust those.

1 Like

No new information provided to me with this.

Here is an example. Rhino 6 for Mac model.
I have tried exploding the roof polysurface to try to work with just the single triangular surface… that does not have any affect. They just line up along the world axes.
The roof tiles are the program’s "built-in” dark slate. I think with box mapping here.

The barn roof tile is my png image from Rhino 5.

The stair treads and porch decking are polished walnut with box mapping. Same story.

I have tried adjusting each and every setting, one at a time, in the texture control panel, No setting change makes any display change, except sometimes the type of mapping (surface, box, etc.). I thought I understood how this worked in Rhino 5. I was able to get my png photo of shingle siding to all line up with the shingles the same height in the different surfaces of the model back in rhino 5. Seems totally different and not intuitive now. Maybe it is better, I just don’t understand what I am missing. Your manual does not shed any more light on it, and seems to reinforce my understanding from Rhino 5 version.

• Matt

Please use the Export command with just the roof surfaces selected. This will save them as their own 3dm that you can upload here. Make sure to click save textures in the export dialog if it is not already enabled. I want to take a look at the model and it’s UVs please.

Brian,
Looks like the 3dm file (12MB) gets rejected at your end, or somewhere in the loop. The cc copy gets back to me.

I exported just the 8 roof panels using “small" (that cut it down from 24MB to 12MB). Why is the file so big?

But, it is a good file. One panel has been randomly changed to bronze, so 2 problems in one file.

Screen capture:
rooftilespict.png

-Matt

Use this link to upload the file:

Include this URL in the upload comments so we can link it up with this forum post:

I can’t tell why the file is the size it is without seeing it but I’d bet it’s textures from other materials as save small removes the render mesh. You can use the link John provided, just make sure to comment this forum thread please so we can connect the dots. Another option is to Zip the save small file, that will crunch it down even more.

Ok, sent. I did look into zip, but that only squeezed a couple percent out, so sent the raw 3dm.

I noticed the roof geometry had not been generated very precisely. I have since fixed it so the edges all join now; but the file I sent you is from the older model so it shows the surface where the material changed to bronze. But I think that probably did not impact the two issues we are looking at, although it raises the notion that it might be convenient sometimes if individual surfaces within a poly-surface could have a different material assigned.

Anyway, any input would be helpful. I suspect if I could find a relevant tutorial, that might set me straight.

• Matt

Roof-mapping-R6-Mac.mp4.zip (24.7 MB)

Hi Matt,

Check out the video above of how I’d set up the texture mapping in Rhino 6 for Mac for the roof and this material. There were two main issues, the first was that the texture mapping properties for the surfaces had no impact as noted in the Texture Mapping section of Properties. This is due to the default mapping of World Coordinate System for Rhino material library materials. Usually this setting is good for architectural models but if this case a little more control is required.

The second issue was related to the first in that the texture maps within the assigned material needed to be changed to use Mapping channel 1 in order to customize them.

In the video I show how to change these settings, use a custom Unwrap for joined sections of the roof and how to edit the unwrapped render meshes (i.e. the UVs) in the UVeditor. I hope this helps.

I am not sure how you randomly get a different material applied yet while working but if you find a reproducible set of steps that cause that please let me know. If I can make it happen here, I’ll get it in front of the developers as a bug.

The file size was also from unused material textures in the file. If you use the Purge command, you can remove the unused materials to reduce the file size when sending only part of the file but it was fine how you uploaded it too.

Wow! Thanks for that, but there is a lot of new ground for me in that video and way too hard for me to unpack all the steps from the silent video.

Is there a manual for this somewhere?

See https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/properties/texturemapping.htm and https://vimeo.com/268449998 Even though that video uses Rhino for Windows, it’s the same process and location for the texture mapping properties.