Mac - Interface still behind Windows

Hi @Tom_P -

Thanks for writing this up. Coincidently, we were just discussing this perennial issue at a recent developer meeting here at McNeel.

Rather than rehash all the various Discourse topics that have been devoted to the history of decision making around this issue, I’ll just say a few things, then attempt to track down or author TODO items for specific issues…but first the broad stuff:

• Our hope is that both Rhino for Window’s and Rhino for Mac’s interfaces will evolve in to become more “Rhino-like”, rather than favor one platform’s UI paradigms over another’s.
  • Today, regardless of what you think of either interface, there’s general agreement that where the pain is most acute is for teachers.
  • For Rhino 8 (currently in RhinoWIP), we’re planning on making some meaningful strides to bring the two interfaces closer together. We’re in the early-days of planning right now, but we’re hoping to deliver dock-able toolbars to Rhino for Mac, based on a standard, cross-platform file format (likely .rui)

I’ll delve into each of your specific issues in a subsequent set of topics, but I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

-Dan

9 Likes