Lunchbox Triangular surface

Hello, so I’m a second year in architecture school in the UK. and I got this project where I’ve designed this triangular roof, with surfaces because in the beginning, it was a bit too fluid to make it work, so I triangulated the whole roof, making it into triangular surfaces. but now I’m trying to make a spaceframe or a truss system to support the roof and for this, I’ve found the truss system in Lunchbox, but instead of going with the Triangular surface I got, it makes it into a 4 point surface, basically extending it or mirroring the surface.

And I am by no means a pro or even an intermediate at grasshopper so if this isn’t really gonna be viable then if anyone has a different way of doing it or a better way id love to be pointed in the right direction!

Kind Regards Blomberp

Are you after a truss “like” this? (Note: in this example quads are converted to triangles)

Mesh_ToTruss_StaticDemo_45A.3dm (1.1 MB)

Essentially yes

I can provide an entry level solution on that matter (i.e. without the orthodox connectivity trees that correlate the classic 2 truss Lists [base-top node points]) but it would be purely via code (C#). Note that since you should always check the mesh for islands (i.e. disjoined pieces) … in fact we are talking mesh Lists (and connectivity trees with higher dimentions that 1).

Notify if you want such an approach.

That said the general case of this (i.e. random trusses PLUS the required members of the corresponding envelope) is by far the most challenging parametric task mostly due to clash checks between the struts (and/or the fixing bolts) on a per node basis. Fixing potential issues like these on the fly is 100% impossible without code.

See these threads. What you are dealing with is are trimmed surfaces. Trimmed surfaces are almost always evaluated by their untrimmed underlying Nurbs(4 point) surface, it is how Nurbs works. This isnt a Grasshopper knowledge issue, it is a Rhino knowledge issue. Check this: https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5.0/Rhino5Level2Training/

http://v5.rhino3d.com/forum/topics/trimmed-versus-untrimmed-surfaces

2 Likes