Keep mapping texture with the "flow" command

Howtokeep the mapping texture on an object with the commandflow.3dm (4.6 MB)

Hello,

I have many difficulties in Rhino with the texture mapping. I want to keep the mapping texture when i make a pavement kerb when i follow a curve or a circle with the “flow” command. I attached the file here for example. I failed to keep the orignally mapping texture when i applied the flow command. What are your advices and recommendations in my example for the mapping texture ?

Thank you very much for the help,

Aurelien

the texture is missing from what i see. you should either embed or attach it.

This the problem that i have :

I apply the flow command and my texture mapping is lost on my object, i think it is normal but how can i keep my mapping texture without reapply on all my objects the same mapping texture (i have 50 objects). I need methods if you have for the texturation.

Basically i make a box mapping uv on my object.

Thank you so much ! :slight_smile:

so i checked your file without the texture, and half of your grouped blocks have texture mapping set to custom (box), the other half is set to default. i would ungroup them set all to default or whatever suits you here but keep that mode with all the objects, then flow again as a starter, maybe that already helps.

1 Like

Hi @aurelien.leroy
Quick test shows that meshed geometry (top row of cubes) retains its uv-mapping, NURBS does not (bottom row) - so maybe uv map your objects, mesh them and flow the meshed versions? Ihave no idea if it’s possible to get NURBS geometry to flow and get the mapping right :roll_eyes:

HTH, Jakob

1 Like

Thank you so much it is the solution. The mesh keep the texture mapping after the command “flow”. The only problem is the mesh has not the same behaviour than polysurface, for example with the polysurface NURBS i had my surface who flow perfectly with the curve, now with the mesh i have this :

But thank you so much you solved my problem !

if you want to keep the nurbs, explode the polysurfaces before flowing.

but generally i believe that is some sort of bug caused due to the rotation of the UV along the curve making it flip. something similar is also a common problem in plenty of other software packages when trying to animate a camera over circular over head spline the camera suddenly flips. i wonder why mesh works then. probably something which could get fixed @nathanletwory any ideas?

The mesh probably doesn’t flow nicely because there aren’t enough vertices.

For further UV-mapping info I think either @BrianJ or @Jussi_Aaltonen know better what is possible and what isn’t.

Hi A.L.,

I looked at your file and added some textures since they were missing as previously mentioned. In Rhino 5, which you used for this file, you need to explicitly check save textures in the Save As dialog, in Rhino 6 this is the default.

The issue appears to be the direction of the target circle curve and where you click on it. Use the Dir command to inspect both the base and target curves before running Flow. The dots in the screenshot below also show the start point of each crv.

The location you click on the curves will determine how the objects flow… so it’s not the texture mapping that is reversed but rather the objects themselves.

1 Like

I tried to add vertices manually on my mesh with the command “SplitMeshEdge” and it solved the problem :the mesh follow the curve. Thank you !

Thank you very much for the tips with the “dir” command for the direction of my meshes.

Hello!
I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar problem with Rhino 6.

I need to map a watch strap, so it must be mapped flat and then after bent!

I map the flat strap (in nurbs), mapping type PLANAR (UV)
I convert to mesh (including texture)
I flow along curve selecting the beginning (curve direction is the same)
Rhino 6: bad result
Rhino 5: everything ok!

Is there a solution or must I keep switching back to Rhino 6?
I did non check on Rhino 7 WIP yet…

If I figure out how, I will attach screenshots!

thanks!

ah, just drag and drop the images!
here they are:

Hello- it appears that V7 gets this right:

-Pascal

1 Like

Hello Pascal,
Thanks for your help!

I tested in Rhino 7 now and it’s still not working…
If you notice in your screenshot, the checker board pattern is stretched in the middle, just as it happens in Rhino 6…
:-/

Hello- yeah, you are right, sorry -that was not a good pattern to test.
RH-61618 TextureMapping: Mapping does not Flow

I guess the way out is to extrude the target curve, rebuild the extrusion to a lot of points and use that as a custom mapping object-

-Pascal

well I also have to map the outer strap… a complex shape that I can’t rebuild in that position.

the odd thing is that Rhino 5 can do the flow without losing UV mapping…
seems I have to export to Rhino 5 and do the flow there.

thanks anyway!

I’m not seeing a difference from Rhino 5 to Rhino 7 here in an example I made.

UV-flow-test.3dm (43.7 KB)

I’d personally use Cylindrical mapping once flowed like this…

@BrianJ - it ‘works’ in V5 if you flow the mesh that comes from the brep, not the brep. Would you agree that the mapping ought to flow with the object, as all right-thinking people say, or that the mapping widget, so to speak (planar, say) ought to remain constant and in charge of mapping.

-Pascal

I would not expect a planar map to become a cylinder. I missed that we were flowing a mesh here. A file from @mirkos would help me understand what we’re working with exactly too.

Flowing the extracted render mesh is an interesting difference although you need to Subdivide it to not see the facets. I suspect the UVs are baked into the mesh which is why they travel. But I actually don’t see that work unless the map is a custom Unwrap.