Is RhinoRender using Cycles?

Hi, I’m a bit confused, been looking for the Short Questions topic but couldn’t find it. Anyway, I’m using the latest Rhino 7 and wanted to give Cycles a try.

It’s a bit confusing that I can select cycles in the options, but Cycles isn’t mentioned anywhere else in the program. How do I know if I’m using Cycles? It looks similar to the renderings I make in Blender, but I get no feedback from Rhino whether it’s actually using my GPU for the rendering.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 091631

Screenshot 2021-05-11 091620

I’m asking because compared to Blender, rendering even a small image takes quite a long time. Blender just crushes the render times. It would be great to have more options. I’ve been digging through the Rhino Render Advanced Settings, but wasn’t able to tune it in a way that gave a good balance between render quality and render time yet.

For example, in the settings, I have sessions set to 1000, but when rendering it still does 1500 passes. So I’m wondering if my settings are actually doing anything. And when I choose to do a Render Preview, it still just renders the same quality with 1500 passes.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 093910

Am I doing something wrong?

Rhino Render is using Cycles from Rhino 7 onwards.

By default the settings in the render quality drop down are used

To override those you have to check the Overrride Production Render Quality check box below the session samples count.

I need to check that, maybe a bug.

When using the _Render command you’ll see this in the top of the render window

In the viewport you can click on the word Cycles to see what rendering device is used

Current Rhino Cycles and current Blender Cycles can’t be compared. We’ve got quite a few changes made to Cycles to fit in Rhino. And our code-base is still older. I hope to upgrade to latest Cycles codebase during the summer.

Agreed, but that will be something of the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for the awesome reply Nathan. This literally answered all of my questions, and only raised one new question.

In the viewport you can click on the word Cycles to see what rendering device is used

I somehow don’t see the word Cycles anywhere, where does this word appear? :slight_smile:

This is assuming you’re running the Raytraced viewport.

Raytraced and Rhino Render use the very same Cycles engine.

Thanks, that cleared things up! For fast work I use the ‘Rendered’ viewport, actually never touched the raytraced viewport. I’m doing quite a simple render and had not expected it to take over a minute with my RTX2060 card. I can’t wait to see what is coming this summer, good luck with the development!

Do try one of the denoiser plug-ins available through _PackageManager to cut down on render times.

Our Cycles integration does not have denoiser functionality enabled, that is provided separately.

1 Like

Thanks to your suggestions I managed to get the rendering time down to around 2 minutes with only 500 passes and the denoiser. If I understand correctly the denoiser allows less passes while maintaining a higher quality image because of post-processing?

Is there a way I can find out if my rendering times are any good? My scene is really simple, no textures, one skylight and one light. I do really like how the renders look nowadays with the new rendered!

I do notice some crispy lines here and there despite rendering at 300dpi:
Screenshot 2021-05-11 121047

Edit:
I managed to get away with 15 passes and adding gaussian blur, but I don’t think the edge should be so choppy to begin with.

ps I don’t know what’s going wrong with the PNG render, the image shouldn’t look the way it does here on the forums.

Okay, something is going wrong, this is the render preview:

And this is the rendered JPEG file saved on disk:

It looks like it’s saving the RGBA channel preview instead of the RGB preview :thinking:

Did a little research, and somehow adding gaussian blur 0.60 points makes the image brightness go wild.
Bug?

Correct. In Blender the denoising is integrated a bit more, so it is faster to denoise.

This may be a result of the depth of field post-effect. Does it exist with all post-effects disabled?

What gaussian blur are you referring to?

Absolutely right! Depth of Field adds this, I tried setting the depth slightly behind the edge, but it still appeared elsewhere in that case. I guess the depth of field effect would have to be added manually somehow.

The one I added under Final Pass:

Screenshot 2021-05-11 135733

Instead of doing it as a post-processing effect you could just use actual focal blur - with nothing selected in a Raytraced viewport choose the focal blur tab in the viewport properties page.

Ok, I think that is something @DavidEranen worked on.

A post was split to a new topic: Material Setup compared to Flamingo

Awesome, the raytracing viewport works really well as well.

Just to add, when selecting Gaussian blur in the Raytracing viewport it also blows out all colors:

I’ve logged this error as RH-64172 Gaussian Blur causes overexposure effect.

1 Like

RH-64172 is fixed in the latest Rhino 7.7 Service Release

1 Like