In-place generic models from revit

Hi, first post on the forum.

I have a revit model (imported ifc model) with 185 identical in-place generic models, spread around and all have basepoint at 0,0 . Is there a way to convert all of them to a family generic model with RiR and GH?

Tnx.

Sure thing, can you post your environment info and ideally a small Revit file with some of the elements you are trying to work on?

Sure Japhy :slight_smile:
inplace_GenModels.gh (7.4 KB)
Project1_Revit2024_2.rvt (15.0 MB)

Good news… Bad news.

Bad news: Often the ifc elements will have an origin plane (element location), these do not, they are all located at 0,0,0.

Good News: The elements in the example provided are structured enough to get a solution from the geometry.

Here i found the back edge and created a plane

Given a Frame (plane) we can transform one of the mullions to 0,0 and make a real family and place at each of the locations.

RiR-R8-Geometry-to-Family.gh (16.9 KB)

Great :+1: Any possibility to link them to the provided levels?

These are only rough suggestions to get you started, the actual variables in your project are going to vary and you are going to have to account for unique conditions.

Note that the Query Levels component is looking for a Domain ( 0 to 100 for example)

These happen to be exactly on the Level Elevation so I am able to match up the Family and Levels that way.

RiR-R8-Geometry-to-Family-with-Levels.gh (21.8 KB)

Tnx Japhy, I’ll look into the gh files, and recreate from scratch :+1:

Hi, Here’s a new revit model with some panels I’m trying to make families out of these in-place fams. Obvious the last script provided by you may not apply here, as the panels have different sizes. How would you suggest a workflow for this example? tnx.
Panels_InPlace_GenericModels_Revit2024_2.rvt (536 KB)

Ugh, i had this 80% done last night and my computer rebooted.

Its still the same process as before but there are a lot more variables to contend with, especially if you have a particular workflow in mind.

A common plane still needs to be derived from the geometry but now we have direction to consider if ware going to make them worthwhile. There is also the factor of what makes a panel unique.

Note that all this adds complexity to the workflow.

I’ll poke at it a bit today and redo the work… always quicker the second time, amiright?

Sure, Appreciate your help :+1:

I can only get you going in the right direction, there are many project specific decisions to make.

The idea here is now that we have created Direct Shape types, with the name of their size, you can make a single family with parameters to place the plane, if that is the overall goal.

Panels_InPlace_GenericModels_Revit2024_2.rvt (692 KB)
RiR-R8-Geometry-to-Family-with-Levels-Panels.gh (21.9 KB)

To wrap this up, here I placed a Family and adjusted the parameters of our custom family to the Height and Widths of our original in-place family.

Note that one got miscategorized in orientation and has mixed up dimensions (welcome to data wrangling)

The the previous Gh definition had a minor change that needs to be run first… adding the Orientation to the Direct Shape comments so we could exclude the Corners (which have too many variables and need to be delt with seperatly)

Panels_InPlace_GenericModels_Revit2024_2.rvt (848 KB)
RiR-R8-Geometry-to-Family-Final.gh (14.0 KB)
RiR-R8-Geometry-to-Family-with-Levels-Panels.gh (22.2 KB)

Thank you for great support @Japhy , I’ll study the setup :+1: