How many folks using substance suite with rhino?

Also, The Adobe Substance team will be broadcasting on YouTube, January 28th, 9:00 am PST. Meet the team and perhaps they will talk about the Rhino connection:

https://magazine.substance3d.com/event/substance-3d-news-3/

1 Like

Hi! Is the substance material importer Windows only or is there a Mac version available?

Not yet - but there will be

2 Likes

@andy @nathanletwory @scottd

Guys that’s a great start! Congrats on that move! If there will be an option to tweak parameters like in Substance Player on the first import step that would be awesome!

1 Like

As said in December

6 Likes

We just added a guide on the Adobe Substance integration. We will be able to update this as the plugin progresses:

2 Likes

Here is a newer video showing highlighting the Rhino substance plugin:

10 Likes

Now we just have to cross our fingers and hope chaosgroup adds this to vray, before we hit the next century…

Hi, I cannot import SBSAR files into Rhino as per the video. The .SBSAR extension isn’t an available format for “import from material library”.
I have the SubstanceImporter installed in the package manager - currently v.2.0.10 beta, but the earlier version didn’t allow import either. I have restarted rhino after plugin installation.
What am I missing?

It looks like they are using the other option for the import from material library. When I do that to add a new material the open window goes to my materials library in Render content which seems to have nothing but rtml rhino materials. If I go to downloads then I see the sbsar files that I have just downloaded from Substance to experiment with. At first I thought something had changed because I could choose the texture size as in the last video but wasn’t getting the other options. Seems not all SBSAR files have those options but keep looking and you will find one that loads just as in the video.

I point out the chicken wire example because I had not loaded it in this manner earlier and it didn’t look near as good.

Thanks for the response, however my issue is more fundamental. sbsar files not an available oprion and don’t appear as per your screeshot.
When I force rhino to import a sbsar file as a material it says that it’s an unspported format.

Hi John,

Rhino for Windows or Mac?

Hi Jeremy. I should have mentioned that alright. Windows10.

Hi John,

I have it working ok in Windows and I don’t see why you wouldn’t have. I think it is going to take a McNeelie to solve this, but as you have posted in an old thread it may not spring to their attention, so let’s nudge @scottd

hey John, can you run the systeminfo command in rhino and post the result? or send it to us at tech@mcneel.com?

Hi Kyle,
This substance material import issue isn’t critical by any means. It’s simply for experimentation at the moment, but thanks for looking into it all the same.

Here’s the sysinfo:-

Rhino 7 SR5 2021-4-10 (Rhino 7, 7.5.21100.03001, Git hash:master @ 2cd158094b595f6400479d7cbe511454b6149527)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-04-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 1-22-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.40
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-22-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6140
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\IntelDenoiser\0.6.2\IntelDenoiser.Windows.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Windows” 0.6.2.0
C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\raytraced-blend-material\1.5.0\RaytracedBlendMaterial.rhp “RaytracedBlendMaterial” 1.5.0.0
C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\raytraced-materials\0.1.5+v7.4\RaytracedMaterials.rhp “Raytraced Materials” 0.1.5.0
C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\2.0.10-beta\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 2.0.10.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.5.21100.3001
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.5.21100.3001
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.5.21100.3001
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.5.21100.3001
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.5.21100.3001
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
f:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

everything looks good there… can you list steps you are using and where it fails?

you should be able to:

1. go to substance and grab a material (it’ll download to your downloads folder)
  2. go to rhino and choose the + for a new material and then pick the “import from material Library”
  3. browse to your downloads folder and pick your sbsar file.

it should load.

Why you need a sbsar file into Rhino?
sbsar files are made inside Substance Designer. Is Intended for games. You download the game with the small sbsar file and when the game runs for the first time it makes the texture. In this way, a very big game with lots of texture can be downloaded fast. Especially useful in movile.
So if you are making textures inside Substance Designer, it is better to back/export the textures and import them into Rhino. If you need to change a sbsar you do it inside Substance Designer or Substance Viewer and export the textures.

I have done wheel using Rhino and texture using Substance Designer. The height map displacement tessellation pattern was done in it. Here is the final result: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DxGG1R

And a Screenshot

10 Likes

My experiences were full of obstacles as well. So I’m thinking of making a course to show how to deal with issues.

In long:
Making the UV mapping is complex. I make often bug reports isolating each issue
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/search/Reported%20by%20me-665#issueId=BO-2982

I use RizomUV Real Space as a helper to understand what is happening with the UV mapping.
I make the Unwrap in Rhino and cheche in RizomUV Real Space the UVs because can conserve Rhino vertex normals. But my actual problem is that Rhino export multiple unwelded meshes of what it looks like (in Rhino) a single merge polymesh. I can’t use external tools to make a proper UV mapping. And I hope that @Jussi_Aaltonen (that looks like working hard on all of my bug reports) will fix this bug one day.

I do not tile the texture anymore going out the UV space. I use to do that but later baking shadows is not possible because of the overlapping of UVs. I never overlap UV. I try to fit the UV mapping into the 1:1 space without repeating.

At first, as a beginner, when making, for example, repetitive wall patterns (architectural), we tend to use more than the 1:1 UV space. When we became more expert we try to avoid that (we stay inside 1:1 space), especially if is an Industrial design object for real-time rendering. Overlapping UV projection creates issues. Going outside only if you are rushing is a compromise.

With a Designer, you can build complex meshes that will be displayed inside your Rhino mesh or surface using the computational expensive tessellation displacement high map texture.
example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eodc61SCglE
Substance Designer was the very first product for making complex textures to a node base.

Then I use Substance Painter ( suggest indie perpetual license in steam if you want to use only Painter and Designer) that is an evolution of Designer. Making nodes is time-consuming so I prefer Painter over Designer. Making nodes is useful for creating mesh tessellation but you can do that also in Painter by painting. I use photo textures. In Painter use photos as the source. Then I export the final textures to Rhino or else for rendering.

For real-time visualization to the client, I use in order of complexity Painter (via Iray that is included), Rhinoceros 7 new rendering, Unity HDRP VR in future Unreal 5, and complex rendering Octane. Other options are too expensive from my point of view.

Here are the results of my work mostly done in Rhino RizomUV and Painter :
https://www.artstation.com/mattano

And a project that I’m working on right now:

1 Like

Later I will respond to more, but for now quick question:

What approach to baking shadows do you take? You want them merged as one Diffuse texture? Because otherwise, you could have whatever UVs you want for the textures and separate UV channel (non-tiling) for the “Lightmap”. This is how it works in Unreal, and probably in other places.