How many folks using substance suite with rhino?

Yes, I prefer a game engine “Lightmaps” ready. I do not use lightmaps (in Unity) to increase fps and because I often move lights real-time (shadows) and takes too much lifetime. I never know what final destination can end up for the object so I try to build the textures as much as flexible as possible (I mean yes Lightmaps ready). For example, for now, I do not use UDIMs UV setup. For a hero object asset, I separate it into pieces with different UVs using 1:1 space. Painter handles well using tri-planar projection instead of default UV projection. Lightmaps are very nice but if the original textures are ok, real-time (and RTX) it’s good enough for now. Future real-time lightmaps will be awesome.

I bake AO in Substance Painter or better in Blender (using to Blender) and import it into Painter when starting. This also let you understand if there are overlapping UVs. Put a small amount of AO into the final color texture to simulate some radiosity shadow (in case AO is not used). I use also a AO texture on the real-time material for micro details shadow. And since object surfaces are always dirty with big patterns [inspiring source] I prefer using UVs 1:1 and increasing resolution. If it is 200-foot superyacht deck I isolate the sector mesh where VR will be to increase the size of each individual UV( only for that sector). Using a secondary tiled texture inside the shader for mixing color textures doesn’t work well for me because of bad color mixing (at least in Unity PBR) but yes for the bump texture.

1 Like

Hello!

Because I like to be able to set/change the texture parameters directly in Rhino of course. No need to keep a other app open then and mess with texture import.
(Authoring the substance is a completely other story.)

It’s intended for rendering, right? No matter if realtime or not.
Best regards
Eugen

I just started using Substance materials in Rhino. Do they work on meshes differently than Nurbs or SubD objects? My materials work well on Nurbs and SubD, but when I put them on a mesh, they turn black in Raytraced mode. They look fine in Rendered.

Rendered

Raytraced

Can you share the model with me for investigation? Thanks.

Sure thing. It’s 50mb, so I’ll send it through Rhino - Upload to Support

Thanks, I received the file. On my machine in Rendered mode it looks like this:

So same problem between Rendered and Raytraced modes.

Anyway, all maps in this particular material are useless, since there is no variation in them. Just remove them and set their values directly to the channels they are on. You’ll save 6 times a 1024x1024 texture worth of memory. The biggest problem on the mesh model is caused apparently by the normal map. This map is unnecessary.

The material can be simply represented with:

Platinum, Polished.rmtl (47.2 KB)

1 Like

Ok, so it looks like I need to clean up my materials and remove excess maps. I made this material in Substance Alchemy and it exported with all of these maps. I’ll admit, I don’t quite know what they all do.

I’m trying to put together a “family” of metal materials with different finishes, some of which do use that Bump/Normal map. @nathanletwory, What can I do with this sort of material?
Platinum, Sandblasted.rmtl (8.7 MB)

Not sure yet why the one with normal map looks incorrect.

Quixel Mixer is free and I hope it stays free indefinitely. I use it to create textures for Rhino PBR material using this workflow https://youtu.be/lvGbhGcgKZo

Cheers

1 Like

nice video-
fwiw- he could have loaded all his material textures at once using

you can also create new material using texture files by hitting the plus-

3 Likes

Thanks Kyle for the cool info. Will try it soon :slight_smile:

We just added the ability to edit the Adobe Substance material in Rhino 7 with a version 2 of substance support:

3 Likes

@nathanletwory
I don’t know if this helps your diagnosis on this, but I have found that these same materials sometimes fail when applied in Raytracing mode, but will work if I go back to Rendered and then restart Raytraced.

Is that when you use displacement? If not then please give steps and materials that reproduce this reliably. Thanks

Hi Nathan,

Yes, this is with displacement maps that I made in Substance Alchemist.

I’ve recorded my workflow twice with two different materials with the same results. Interestingly, the normal map fails on the first material and works on the second, regardless of which materials I pick.
Displacement Test.3dm (11.2 MB)

Could you please resave the file with all the textures embedded (save as… ensure Save textures is checked)? Thanks.

Sorry about that. Here you go.
Displacement Test.3dm (18.2 MB)

Thanks for the updated file. I’ll investigate this tomorrow when I’m back at work.

I’ve made a bunch of different pbr materials from substance files, and I seem to get inconsistent results when saving them. Sometimes the images seem to be embedded in the material, other times, the images don’t save in the .rmtl file. Here is an example of each:

This one has the images embedded 18KY, Satin.rmtl (1.7 MB)
This one does not. 14KW, Satin.rmtl (57.1 KB)

Is there a way to control this? What am I missing?

Hi @MikeM,

I’ve just started using Substance materials in Rhino. May I ask why you make .rmtl files rather than simply using the .sbsar’s “as they come”?

Jeremy