Adobe Substance SBSAR support in Rhino 7

Hey all, we just released a Substance Material importer plugin for Rhino 7.

Rhinoceros 7.0 includes new PBR material capabilities, and now has a Substance support feature for realistic-looking materials!

The Substance Importer plug-in for Rhino enables you to easily import Substance materials (SBSAR files) directly into Rhino as “Physically Based” materials. This is the first phase of the development of full Substance support in Rhino (allowing the editing of Substance materials directly in Rhino) which is coming soon.

Substance by Adobe is the reference solution for 3D digital materials. Download high-end Substance materials (Substance Source), explore, create and manage 3D material libraries (Substance Alchemist) or design SBSAR from scratch (Substance Designer). Import your Rhino model and paint in 3D in Substance Painter.

To Install, paste this link into your browser: rhino://package/search?name=Substance

There is a very quick video on the plugin:

11 Likes

Also, The Adobe Substance team will be broadcasting on YouTube, January 28th, 9:00 am PST. Meet the team and perhaps they will talk about the Rhino connection:

4 Likes

Scott,
Thanks for the link. I created a quick set of objects and added materials from my collection from Substance for an initial test. Looking forward to future updates to your plugin.

Chris

Great news, thank you!!

Substance Rusty Iron material added to my Nautilus. Shown in Rendered view. I’m going to let it render over night to see what happens.

Chris

I wouldn’t mind having a go at rendering it on my new RTX A6000 to see how fast we can go (:

These two images took about 9 minutes apiece to do 1500 passes using a GTX 1070i card. I had some serious issues last night and this morning with running out of memory, including a hard crash that took several attempts to boot back up. Rhino v7 seems to be pretty bad at releasing memory after rendering large files. Am I missing a setting to help with this or is this “just the way it is” for now ?

Chris

It’s a huge file at 350 mb and only gets larger every time I add one of the SBSAR files :slight_smile:

Your machine would be great for figuring out how to do an underwater scene with caustics.

Chris

Once you’re not in a Raytraced view and there are no _Render's running you can use the non-completing command RhinoCycles_ClearTextureMemory. That should take care of part of the memory consumption.

If you are using denoisers then you probably are running into the issue reported in Denoiser memory leak (both Intel & Nvidia)

1 Like

Thanks, that is good to know.

Chris

4 posts were split to a new topic: Displacement maps causing gaps at the edges

Is this supported on MAC?

Not yet. Mac support is coming.

2 Likes

I want to start playing around with adding a caustics effect to my Nautilus scene. I would like to create a surface that is both parallel to the top of the screen and perpendicular to the face of the screen to simulate the surface of the water in order for it to be independent of the camera orientation. That way as I play around with moving the camera the sunlight shines through the caustic texture in a consistent orientation.

Basically I want the sun and water surface to remain constant as I move the camera around. Any ideas ?

Chris

With Rhino 7.4 and later this is no longer necessary.

1 Like

I have a question on this:
Yesterday I got my Rhino 7 license (yay :slight_smile: ) and instantly tried out this feature, but I get a very strange behaviour, no matter if I use version 1.0 or 2.05 beta.
I load a substance, it works just fine at first, I see the correct preview, and then after a couple of seconds the preview turns black, both the small material icon and the larger preview.
Rendering also come out black for the Substance materials.
I tried all kinds of stuff but come up blank.
Any ideas?

Latest Rhino 7 SR5 2021-3-9 (Rhino 7, 7.5.21068.13001)
Windows 8.1 x64
64 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti & RTX 2080 Ti (running only the RTX with Optics ATM since dual GPU is broken but tried the other modes as well)
Latest drivers from yesterday.

Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks,

Tom

There indeed is a bug with 7.5 - I am in the process of figuring out a fix for this.

RH-63259 Substance material suddenly rendering black in Raytraced display mode

1 Like

RH-63259 is fixed in the latest Rhino 7 Service Release Candidate

1 Like

Great news, although I switched to Thea Render in the meantime…

1 Like

Will be seed parameter in next version?