Copy and paste slow

I am experiencing a lot of delay in the copy object ( CTRL C ) and paste ( CTRL V) operations, even with very simple objects ( one straight line, anything) in Rhino 6.0.

Anyone else having this trouble?

Thanks!
Luis

1 Like

Do you have any non-standard plug-ins installed?

Hi Luis - if you are using 6.0, please Check for updates (Help menu) and get the latest SR installed - does that behave any better?

-Pascal

Hi,

No, just Flamingo xnT 5.

I have a slow system, but the same operations in Rhino 5 were faster.

Thanks for getting back!

Latest version, installed yesterday. Thanks!

Hi Luis - if you just open a new empty file, make a box or something and Copy/Paste, is that slow?

-Pascal

I will try that and let you know.

In a very simple file becomes fast. So I guess my machine is struggling with the file sizes I am dealing with ( 130Mb more or less).

Thanks!

Hi Luis - I’m not sure that is the case - if you are copying small amounts of geometry, it should be fast in a large file as well as a small one I’d think, unless there is something else - another test would be to start Rhino in Safe Mode and open the large file - don’t let any third party plug-ins load, including nXt in this case. Open your large file and see if the behavior is different for Copy/paste.

-Pascal

Thanks. I also thought that it should not be the case, because I worked with much larger files before, and usually I did not feel the problem. Now it is that slow that I already take my hands of the computer to wait. That used to happen sometimes with Rhino 5, but much less frequently. When I have done the tests I will get back.

Hi Pascal,

I tried running in safe mode and not loading any plug ins. Maybe a trifle faster, but not normal, with the same 120Mb file.

I think there could be a little bug here.

Thanks again for your help,
Luis

I went back to my work running the usual way ( not safe mode ) and definitively, it runs much slower for copy. The top bar even goes to (Not Responding).

It makes the command really troublesome to use, and I use it a lot.

So it may have to do with the plug ins, even though it does not work well even in safe mode, but it runs better.

Thanks!_

Hi all, I may have a hint to what causes my copy and paste command to become slow in Rhino 6.0

I have been working with a R6 file that had never had something that had been part of a Rhino 5 file before. Copy and Paste worked at the speed you would expect it to work. But then I imported a file that contained some information I needed, just lines, no surfaces, and as soon as I did this, copy and paste started taking ages to work ( you feel the delay when the copy command is used ).

Would anyone have a clue as to what is causing this?

Here is my system info:

Rhino 6 SR9 2018-9-28 (Rhino 6, 6.9.18271.20591, Git hash:master @ 4cf7435f08f51c972347c8558d28355cfc0471ca)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-09-28
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Luis Manuel Pinho ()

Windows 8.1 (Physical RAM: 5.9Gb)
Machine name: GREEN-NOMAD

Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (OpenGL ver:4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.3308)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.0
Shading Language: 4.00 - Build 10.18.10.3308
Driver Date: 9-16-2013
Driver Version: 10.18.10.3308
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2112 MB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Flamingo nXt 5.0 (fd53f8c4-546d-47d1-8820-e66c97645a97)\5.5.18018.1000\5.5\Legacy\Flamingo.Legacy.dll "Flamingo nXt Legacy File Reader " 5.5.18018.1000
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Flamingo nXt 5.0 (fd53f8c4-546d-47d1-8820-e66c97645a97)\5.5.18353.6521\5.5\Flamingo.nXt.rhp “Flamingo nXt 5.5” 5.5.18353.6521

Thanks to all!

Hello - For a while, V6 had trouble with Copy/Paste if Snapshots were used in some cases - I see you’re using 6.9, which is quite a ways back - SR13 is current. Can you try updating to SR13 and see if things improve? And if not, can you please try disabling Flamingo in Options > Plug-ins, and then restart Rhino and see if it is any different?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for the tips. I had to roll back the latest ( at the time ) service release because it caused my display to go totally crazy. Maybe that does not happen with the latest now, but I am so busy that I did not try it. I will try disabling Flamingo. I am with you that it must be some property that is attached to the file when you render it, and in this file I had no elements that had been rendered before.

I just installed the most recent update hoping for some kind of relief. Copy and pasting the smallest detailed object is so slow the software is nearly unusable. Looking for some help. Undo is also painfully slow to the point that I just redraw instead of trying to use the tool. Rhino-5 did not have these issues. Whats’ up? I have the Flamingo nXt 5.5 rendering plug in. No others. Please help! The rest of my team is experiencing the same issues.
Thanks,
Wayne

Hi Wayne - please try, as a test, disabling Flamingo in Options > Plug-ins page, then restart Rhino - any difference?

Please also run SystemInfo in Rhino and post the results.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal and Wayne,

I may have some light to throw in the discussion. I think that indeed it has to do with something related to Flamingo, but I don´t think it is Flamingo itself causing the problem, and the reason while is this:

In some files, where I have never worked in Rhino 5.0, Rhino 6.0 copy and paste works normally. Then I just import some elements from some older file, which has been created in Rhino 5.0, and here it is maybe the doubt I still have, may have been rendered, or not. But I did not have time to pursue the matter as I had to get the job at hand done. But if I test it and can find some file that has never been rendered, and import elements from that file into a brand new Rhino 6.0 file, and it works normally, then I will try with some element from a file that has been rendered in the past using Rhino 5.0 and Flamingo. If the problem returns, there is something here.
Does it make any sense to you Pascal?

The fact is that I have worked on brand new Rhino 6.0 files, in which I did not import any elements from older work, and copy and paste worked normally, and in some cases as I soon as I imported some elements from old work copy and paste stopped working properly, by this I mean taking a long time, and some messages come in the status line. I failed to make a note of these. I can try.

As I normally have to import older elements from Rhino 5.0 files, the fact is that for me copying and pasting became a problem, to the point I started using mirror and Alt drag in many cases, but of course it cannot totally replace the copy paste functionality, and so I have to wait sometimes 15, 20 seconds for each copy command. Paste works normally after that. The problem happens in the Copy command, not in the Paste command.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

Luis

Disabling the FlamingonXT 5.5 fixed issues but now what? I need to render often and it reloaded slowly.

Rhino 6 SR17 2019-8-23 (Rhino 6, 6.17.19235.15041, Git hash:master @ 06b69c5cc21d880aa793a5a7cfd454a66f6213bb)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-08-23
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: WSTILES-LPTP

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro M4000M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-23-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 425.45

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel® HD Graphics P530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-7-2019 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-23-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.2545
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Flamingo nXt 5.0 (fd53f8c4-546d-47d1-8820-e66c97645a97)\5.5.18353.6521\5.5\Flamingo.nXt.rhp “Flamingo nXt 5.5” 5.5.18353.6521

Thanks - my guess is there is user data coming along with the older Flamingo-rendered stuff being pasted. I’ll see if I can reproduce this.
@Luis_Manuel_Pinho - so far I cannot - can you post s simple file with an object that causes the delay?
thanks,
-Pascal