Copy and paste slow

What I want to point out in my preivous text really is this: It seems it has to do with the file, not with Flamingo. At least it looks to me.

Thanks

Thanks!

Hi Pascal, I am right now doing some tests, until I cause the problem to happen, Then I will send you that file.

A few more minutes maybe.

Thanks - at your convenience, of course.

-Pascal

Done. See below in thread.

Okay, I got a noticeable difference, even though the times involved were small because I am trying with very small files, and usually my files can be around 50 to 90 Mb, so the delay is very noticeable. But I can definitively point some difference between the two files I am talking about, pasting the same item, and their size is similar. I will just make a couple of more trials and send you the files.

Hi Pascal, I think I got some data for you. I have 3 files and I can see the difference. I can send you the two files that work differently, after 2 imports, and the 2 imported files.

Please let me know how to do it.

Thanks!

In fact this files are small enough to email, if you think this may be easier.

Thanks,
Luis

Hi Luis, Wyane - please send any files to tech@mcneel.com, to my attention - thanks!

-Pascal

Emailed them to you right now.

Thanks!

Hi Luis - I got the files, thanks.

As far as I can see so far, the delay occurs when there are Flamingo materials present and not when there are none. Thanks, all, for the detailed reports and files.

@waynejr4576 - does the delay go away for you if Flamingo is running and the current renderer but there are no Flamingo materials in the file?

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-54553

-Pascal

I copied the 151K file and then deleted all of the materials.
Once the materials were removed the copy and past function was super fast.
The Undo command we also quicker copying and pasting the entire file.
Now what’s next?
Wayne

Hi Wayne - Thanks for following up and confirming the speed-up.

Pascal posted the link to the item in the bug tracker. The developer will now have to see what is going on and how that can be fixed. The item is open to the public and you can follow any development from that list.
-wim

Hi there,

For everyone having this kind of problems, please try to use ‘purge’ command to clean every unused thing from your file. Some times imported assets comes with materials with textures you don’t have etc. and Rhino looks for them consistently. That solved my problem both for copy/paste actions and saving files.

Have a good one.

Hi There,

I confirm that using the purge command the functions of copy and paste return to normal in Rhino 6.0.

Cheers,

Luis

Virus-free. www.avg.com

hi! i have this problem too sometimes. once a file reaches this point there’s not much i can figure out to fix it. anyway, my question is this: why does PASTE slow down, but commands like MIRROR and ARRAY do not slow down for the same file? do they access memory differently or something?

I have the same problem in Rhino V7.

Even if I load an empty standard template (which comes with Rhino), create a point in it, copy and paste it with CTRL-C and CTRL-V, Rhino hangs for about 20 seconds and only then the point is inserted and I can continue working.

Disabling all plugins did not bring any improvement.

Updating the graphics driver did not bring any success either.

However, when I start Rhino 7 in safe mode, everything works fine and fast.

If I have understood it correctly for Rhino to use “Copy to clipboard, or CTRL-C” it makes a new file under the hood, and brings all textures and block instances with it and thus it takes time to write all that data to memory.
(Why it doesn’t use “Save small” when it does that is beyond my undserstanding)

@wim Please correct me if I am wrong.

So on my heavy files with linked scan data etc. it has to add a whole lot of data to copy even a simple curve to memory.

IF you are copy-pasting within the file you can use the copy command instead and use “in place” as option. That is fast as anything, but if you have to copy-paste between Rhinos then you are out of luck, at least for the time being. Again, IF I have understood it correctly.

It does make a new file, but not the entire input file. Also, V7 puts less stuff in there. Nonetheless there is a paste-lag bug which is open.

-Pascal

Thanks for including this bug in the writeup.
Is there a link to the corresponding entry in the database?

Here is a short video with the copy/paste - delay.