Rhino 6 slow with pasting even small objects

Hey, I’m working on a file, 281MB in size. I have a very performant workstation, but when I paste even the smallest object, let’s say a cube, it takes 20 seconds.

What could be going on here?

Hi Arman - what version and service release are you running? Can you run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and paste the results here?

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR2 2018-3-6 (Rhino 6, 6.2.18065.11031, Git hash:master @ cd4fa1dcdec31cb58baacef0855771173af7196f)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Quadro P5000/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.16)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-30-2017
Driver Version: 23.21.13.8816
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 16 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.20.rhp “Bongo 2.0”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\BongoUI.20.v60.rhp “BongoUI20v60”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Arman - can you post or send to tech@mcneel.com a (preferably simple) file that shows the problem?

thanks,

-Pascal

how would you define simple? should I delete most objects to make the file smaller, but remain with the same file? ( like, not copy past a part into a new file, then send that over.)

Question is then, which objects to send… I might be deleting the culprit.

Yes, well if in doubt send what you have - it’s just easier to drill down if the scene is simpler.

-Pascal

Ok, I think I have isolated the part that affects pasting duration. I was kinda lucky with that, could have taken hours too…

The part which poses the problem however is 222MB in size! I can’t send it by email. I tried to explode it and look further on a surface level, to make the file smaller but just exploding it seems to make the file crash… it’s been exploding for minutes now.

can I upload it somewhere?

I checked the part with diagnostics, it seems valid.

Hello - if you think that size is unexpected for this object. can you please export the object to a new file and zip up the results and send via

www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention.

thanks,

-Pascal

ok, I will. Could it be an issue with the shutline feature. I remember having used it and that it took a very long time to remesh the part with the shutline. Overall, the shutline tool seems quite unstable, has a hard time giving the result required. I’ve used in on a couple of parts and each time fingers crossed it wouldn’t crash the file.

The file is being uploaded. I’m quite sure now it’s the shutlining feature. I deleted the lines that were shutlined and pasted the same object like before, and it went in no time.

Hello -you can also disable sutlining - of course at some point you’ll need to wait while the shutlining is applied - and I do not see, yet, why this takes so long on your example.

-Pascal

I have turned it off for the time being in my file. However, when applying the shutlining, it always seems to take very long to mesh, relative to the same object being meshed without he shutlining. I usually have my meshing set to a 2 or 1 degree angle, distance to surface 1 or 2 mm, so the extra dense mesh should only be on the shutline fillet itself, which doesn’t seem to add that much more triangles relatively. (The area being shutlined is quite small)

When you say “this” takes so long on my example, do you mean meshing of the shutline, or pasting of an object in the file?

Both - it is really the same process as far as I can see. The mesh seems pretty clean and not overly dense, and the shutline area not so complex- I don’t know, off hand but I’ll run it by the bigger brains.

-Pascal

Hello, I am having a similar problem where the copy-paste command is working inordinately slowly, even with simple curve geometry.

My file is a ~10MB file with 7 picture frames (with ~2MB jpgs on each), and a few curves/polylines. No 3D geometry beyond the flat surfaces of the picture frames. The CopyToClipboard command takes a good 10 seconds to perform, even when copying a single line. Pasting happens at normal (near instantaneous) speed.

I tried opening the file in safe mode per the suggestions here. When I launched the program, it asked if I wanted to load the rhinorender plugin. I said no. At this point, I can’t tell if the copy command happens any faster as every command happens at a reduced speed (literally any Rhino option takes 5+ seconds to perform. Even a simple selection option). Though it appears the CopyToClipboard command takes no longer than anything else - just everything is slow.

I then tried loading in Safe Mode but with the Rhino Render plugin also loaded. At this point, everything still runs at a reduced speed as before, but the CopyToClipboard command runs noticeably slower.

I suspect it is an issue with the Rhino Render which I assume is needed for the Picture Frames I have loaded into the file. This is corroberated by the next thing I did - I went ahead and deleted all picture frames, purged the file to remove residual materials, and saved a new file. At this point, all CopyToClipboard commands happen near instantaneously (like Paste).

It’s quite clear to me the issue is being caused by the Picture Frames/Rhino Render/material management/something along those lines. But what exactly I don’t know, and more importantly how to fix it is unclear. I need to have the picture frames in the file to work off of.

To note, the slow copy happens regardless of whether I am copying a picture frame or not. Copying a single two-point line results in the same slow speed.

I am using a new install of Rhino 6 (installed less than 2 weeks ago), and I haven not installed any additional plugins.

EDIT: Some additional information: the Copy command ( as well as using Alt with Gumball) both seem to work at expected speeds. It appears it may only be an issue with copying to the clipboard.

Hello - thanks for the detailed report. I don’t have any good ideas, myself, but I will ask @andy if he’s got an idea about what might be happening, if indeed it involves Pictures and the material and texture attached to those. In the meantime, assuming this is V6, can you please run Help> “System information…” and paste the results here?

-Pascal

Hey Pascal, thanks for the reply.

Below is a Copy-Paste of the System Information Window:

Rhino 6 SR5 2018-6-4 (Rhino 6, 6.5.18155.13161, Git hash:master @ 0e00e118078ee9a651d609817f672fb0ed8e83bf)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-06-04
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: August Rulewich (ARC)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: WS30

Quadro K2200/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 381.65)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-31-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8165
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I can confirm the same issue. Once a pictureframe is inside the file, pasting takes 20 seconds…

Pasting? Or copying? My issue is specifically with the CopyToClipboard command (or Ctrl-C) - pasting seems to happen at normal speed.

Something else I’ve noticed as I continue to use the file - the more Pictures (guess they’re not called Picture Frames in v6) I have in the file, the slower the CopyToClipboard command runs.