Clayoo Or T-Splines?

Is Clayoo a realistic alternative for T-Splines yet?

Looking for any input/advice or your recommendations, as I am balancing on the precipice of purchasing one or the other.

I have some experience using T-Splines, and really liked it, just taking a look at Clayoo trial to see how it compares.

Would appreciate any input on the fundamental differences between how the two work. Any personal preferences/advantages of one over the other?

Thanks in advance,

David.

Tsplines Replacement

Hi David,

I am not an expert on Clayoo but if you think of Rhino and by extension T-splines as industrial design tools, I think that will give you insight in to what the difference is. Rhino and by extension T-splines is a super accurate 3d modeling program that can be used for industrial design, architecture, and set design. What are you contemplating it for?

That would help us give you a more complete answer.

Hi Cosmas,

Thanks for the reply. I have used T-Splines briefly to help me produce 3D printed models for consumer product design, and I guess some of these projects could well lead onto tooling, so accuracy, continuity etc is very important to me. In fact most of my work is for RP as opposed to rendering.

I don’t doubt that at the moment T-Splines is the superior product. But it is a noticeable investment for me, and I wondered if Clayoo has the same level of accuracy and continuity as T-Splines? I don’t necessarily mind if it is not as elegant to use - as long as it works!

I have read about Clayoo using patches to build surfaces as opposed to single span surfaces, and therefore not having the level of continuity as T-Splines? I am not sure if this is still the case as Clayoo seems to have developed a lot in the last 12 months.

There is also the concern in the back of my mind that T-Splines is now Autodesk, and the negative implications that may have on T-Splines for Rhino - in contrast to the likely on-going development of Clayoo.

So any thoughts, on-hand experience of Clayoo welcome to help me make an informed decision.

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

Here are some threads to look at:

http://www.tsplines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44969

http://www.tsplines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34530

http://www.clayoo.com/forum/topics/first-thoughts

Brian James, (on the last one) works for McNeel and is particularly trustworthy.

I have found the T-splines people to be very supportive. Every time I’ve posted a question on their user’s forum they have answered it within hours.

Maybe someone with direct experience with Clayoo can jump in, but in the meantime, these threads might help you make a decision.

Good luck with it.

Cosmas

Hi Cosmas,

Thanks for taking the time to find those links. I had stumbled across most of them - but as they are 12-18 months old I wondered whether there was anything more recent.

Going by those comments, it has to be T-Splines. I guess I was just really hoping to hear some good arguments for Clayoo.

I’ll spend a bit longer trying Clayoo and drop some feed back here when I finally decide which to go for.

Thanks again,

David.

Clayoo is more friendly compared to tspines with interface and learning curve.I am using clayoo regularly with Rhinogold and feel it to be more equipped than tsplines.
The only place I find tsplinesbetter is with the gum ball as you can utilise it with all rhino objects as clayoo gum ball is unusable with rhino objects the other place where tsplines scores is on the alt enabled extrusion using gumball

A year ago, or so, I also was looking at the T-Splines vs. Clayoo issue, as I needed one of them for organic modeling I was being called upon to do. At the time, I decided to go with T-Splines, just because Clayoo was so new and T-Splines was a more mature product. At the beginning of this year, I took another hard look at Clayoo, to see if it was something I should add to my tool box. I used the latest demo, side by side with T-Splines, to see if it had any advantages.

I do like some of the features of Clayoo, it does seem like it would be a little more intuitive for someone just starting out. Some of the methods of modeling in Clayoo, which I thought would be easier than T-Splines, really didn’t turn out to be any better. In my limited experience, T-Splines creates cleaner and simpler NURBS surfaces, when converted and it seems to play better when modeling with existing NURBS surfaces within Rhino. In the end, I didn’t see anything it could do that I couldn’t already do with T-Splines (although with a different method), so I didn’t think it was worth the expense for me to add it to my tool box.

In your case, I think you might be good with either one. There are some people wondering about the future of T-Splines, whether it’s a valid concern, I don’t know. Clayoo doesn’t have that baggage, coming from a developer of other Rhino plug-ins. But with your concern with the quality of surfaces, I would give the nudge to T-Splines for better quality converted to NURBS surfaces. Again, only in my experience, no claims on being a professional software evaluator, just a everyday Rhino user.

Thanks Michael,

I agree with your assessment really, in the end it comes down to the surface quality and T-Splines has a big advantage here.

There was a bit more discussion here that didn’t appear in the main thread somehow: http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/t-splines-vs-clayoo/5358/2?u=davidwood

David