Arctic rendering and viewport mode in WIP

OK, thanks!

I really like the concept of this feature. It would save lots of time. We generally render white / grey models but having multiple colours while modelling is really helpful.

An alternative model would be the override type system in Microstation. It essentially allows all layers to have 2 display modes. You can switch between mode A and mode B. This allows for much more flexibility because you might want the whole model to be white except for 1 object which you are trying to draw attention to.

Agreed. When ever I do ‘white’ renders I split the model up into 3 different shades to get definition between some surfaces/objects. I also need to add glass in there too.

Yes, I’d not thought of glass.

Maybe there could be a simple column in the layer properties which has a checkbox as to whether to be included in the Arctic Mode or not? That would do it for me because you could then have a glass layer which is unticked (or ticked?!) to not be included. Similarly, a layer with objects for emphasis, say an existing building on a site could also be marked in the same way and render as a colour.

To override a viewport display mode for specific objects I would suggest using the -SetObjectDisplayMode functionality that is already in place instead of introducing yet another column in the layer tab.

1 Like

That’s a pretty cool tool and one I didn’t know about, however it doesn’t really do what I was talking about I don’t think. It would work for the viewport but not for renders am I right?

Ha, yes. Most of this thread is about the display mode but you are absolutely right that it is also about the rendering. And no, that wouldn’t do anything for the rendering. We’ll have to hear what @andy thinks of mixed-mode renderings.

We’ve already made quite a few improvements to the quality since Tuesday, so if you are interested in testing this feature, and you “feel lucky” - download a new mid-stream WIP from here:

http://files.mcneel.com/dujour/exe/20161118/rhino_en-us_6.0.16323.05161.exe

We have no idea what is broken in this - generally mid-week builds have unchecked code in them. However, I’ve tested the rendering stuff and it all seems to be working.

• Andy

How about I respect transparency?

4 Likes

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the explanation, all that makes sense knowing more about the goal that display/render mode is.
Good to hear that the tiling eventually will go away (along with making the Zbuffer mode more usable).

My only request I would still keep is exposing the control of the AO radius (checkbox for Manual under skylight, Unchecked as-is by default) for users that need more flexibility with the ‘amount’ of the effect you get. Would that be something you can consider?

I also like the idea of respecting transparency in this mode.

Many thanks,

–jarek

I gave it a test on the old laptop with the Geforce 330M card and the mode looks nice, great that you downsample when manipulating the view, but it is very slow on testmaxspeed as it doesn’t downsample.

Testmaxspeed took 137 seconds (esc support would be nice) and the entire system became very slow. It used 32% of the dual core, four threaded i5 and used all threads equally. So I guess it should avoid using thread one if possible.

Great work though, I’ll test it on the 1070 during the weekend if I have time.

Oh, and I had to reset the display mode for colors (light gray) to update and for the “iteration” to take place.

Ok. I was expecting that someone would ask for Clay instead :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Clay is soo 2015…

1 Like

This mode can be modified to display object colour which works well, but I am wondering if we can get smoother occlusion/shadows and also ability to create the nice flat pallette of colors you see in Catia/Solidworks:

Refer to this post Catia/Solidworks Display Style in V6

Hi Andy,

Would you be able to fix this across the board for hi resolution export of images? It looks like it’s a problem from way back.

I would expect that there are a vast number of user with retina displays 2k, 4K or greater.

Cheers

Andy

A higher AO quality could be great.

A few years before I experimented with the AIR renderer and finally the AO GI got an extra option - a HDRI env map can be multiplied to the AO shadow. Simple calculated it helps to avoid the greyish AO look. It’s a GI fake. Here an example - both rendered with AO, but one with a very blurry HDRI environment.

Here the HDRI env image:
BeachEnvBlur_blue1_light.rar (19.7 KB)

1 Like

that would be great

as a mac user, I haven’t actually used this so apologies if that is an option. I’ve just been participating based on the descriptions I have read in this thread.

Still think some kind of toggle by layer would be good. Doesn’t have to be in the layer panel, it could be somewhere else, perhaps a separate pop-up window associated with this feature?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Everyone should really check out the new WIP version which Andy posted - it has improved the effect a lot. Please give feedback on this newer version!

Hi Holo,

Was the mode unusable on your 330M? When you were rotating the view, did it feel responsive or sluggish? Maybe there should be a Low and a High quality version of this so that it doesn’t prevent people with slower cards to do work.