Arctic rendering and viewport mode in WIP

How about I respect transparency?

4 Likes

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the explanation, all that makes sense knowing more about the goal that display/render mode is.
Good to hear that the tiling eventually will go away (along with making the Zbuffer mode more usable).

My only request I would still keep is exposing the control of the AO radius (checkbox for Manual under skylight, Unchecked as-is by default) for users that need more flexibility with the ‘amount’ of the effect you get. Would that be something you can consider?

I also like the idea of respecting transparency in this mode.

Many thanks,

–jarek

I gave it a test on the old laptop with the Geforce 330M card and the mode looks nice, great that you downsample when manipulating the view, but it is very slow on testmaxspeed as it doesn’t downsample.

Testmaxspeed took 137 seconds (esc support would be nice) and the entire system became very slow. It used 32% of the dual core, four threaded i5 and used all threads equally. So I guess it should avoid using thread one if possible.

Great work though, I’ll test it on the 1070 during the weekend if I have time.

Oh, and I had to reset the display mode for colors (light gray) to update and for the “iteration” to take place.

Ok. I was expecting that someone would ask for Clay instead :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Clay is soo 2015…

1 Like

This mode can be modified to display object colour which works well, but I am wondering if we can get smoother occlusion/shadows and also ability to create the nice flat pallette of colors you see in Catia/Solidworks:

Refer to this post Catia/Solidworks Display Style in V6

Hi Andy,

Would you be able to fix this across the board for hi resolution export of images? It looks like it’s a problem from way back.

I would expect that there are a vast number of user with retina displays 2k, 4K or greater.

Cheers

Andy

A higher AO quality could be great.

A few years before I experimented with the AIR renderer and finally the AO GI got an extra option - a HDRI env map can be multiplied to the AO shadow. Simple calculated it helps to avoid the greyish AO look. It’s a GI fake. Here an example - both rendered with AO, but one with a very blurry HDRI environment.

Here the HDRI env image:
BeachEnvBlur_blue1_light.rar (19.7 KB)

1 Like

that would be great

as a mac user, I haven’t actually used this so apologies if that is an option. I’ve just been participating based on the descriptions I have read in this thread.

Still think some kind of toggle by layer would be good. Doesn’t have to be in the layer panel, it could be somewhere else, perhaps a separate pop-up window associated with this feature?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Everyone should really check out the new WIP version which Andy posted - it has improved the effect a lot. Please give feedback on this newer version!

Hi Holo,

Was the mode unusable on your 330M? When you were rotating the view, did it feel responsive or sluggish? Maybe there should be a Low and a High quality version of this so that it doesn’t prevent people with slower cards to do work.

It is stable and works fine, but it is sluggish. I think the quality should degrade automatically from high to low quality automatically and even disable shadows when less than x fps. This is an old and weak card, so it doesn’t need to support everything, but some modes needs to be as fast as in V4. Rendered mode is useless on this machine too, so I had to make a custom Speed render mode where most new stuff turned off.

I think the quality should degrade automatically from high to low quality automatically and even disable shadows when less than x fps.

Shadows should be disabled when FPS is too low. Didn’t that happen for you? Note: Disabling shadows automatically isn’t working if doing TestMaxSpeed or scrolling the view with the mouse wheel. It only happens when rotating or zooming the view with ctrl+right click.

Rendered mode is useless on this machine too, …

Didn’t we always talk about Rendered mode? :slight_smile: Is “this” machine some other machine? Not the 330M one?

Ah, sorry, “this” machine is the 330M.
No I talked about the Arctic mode only, just resat and tested the render mode now (It needs the reset before it is updated with the latest changes). Rendered mode sometimes correctly turns off shadows and becomes a simpler and more responsive mode. But not always… I have a rectangular light in the scene and that seems to prevent some of the “downgrade” things to take place.

Okay, interesting. It might be a bug or maybe it just considers the render fast enough. We will have to take a look at it.

Finaly had time to test the 1070 and Testmaxspeed took 0.89 seconds… :smiley:

I would really like to see the AO applied to the metal:

And can you please add refraction in OpenGL? That has been on the wish list since Rhino 2.

1 Like

There we go!

The AO should be applied everywhere. It might just be very subtle when rendered over a reflective material. Or maybe we’re doing something wrong.

Edit: Definitely looks like we’re doing something wrong.

Hi All,

I like this Artic/AO mode. I also like the Technical view mode. I also like the rendered view mode. But I don’t like them as much when each of them is standing alone as I do when they are render pass to create a much more compelling viewmode. I wish we had a custom display mode editor that allowed us to stack/layer these various display modes. to have better realtime viewmodes.

Let me explain with pictures…

each lien of titles represents a viewmode. If you see two lines means two passes are being stacked in Photoshop. I personally see the layered passes of 3 or more viewmodes the more interesting ones.

and the cherry on top goes to viewport gradient masking between two stacked modes…

6 Likes

how you did the last image?? looks nice!