WISH: Mainly for Laptops, option of switch/what GPU to use (on chip GPU or D/EGPU)

Mainly for Laptops but, for different view to have option to switch between on chip GPU or
External or Dedicated GPU based on view used.
Not sure and wat to test it actually… but I was thinking maybe for wireframe/shaded… basically other
than Rendered, battery can be saved.
Currently trying out just turning off the dedicated GPU from hardware manager.

Performance increase and more functionality is great, but hoping also toggle switch for eco.

If you already have the possibility to test with an external GPU the you already could try that with Raytraced - assuming it shows up in the device list for Cycles options. Does that help a bit?

I got a laptop with intel 630 graphics and gtx1050,
(so my case if dedicated GPU)

I’m looking for the other way around I guess, so way to use in intel 630 graphics for everything
except Cycles or Rhino Render. (if that helps in the power consumption)

Just trying out other if using just intel HD 630 and disabling the geforce would reduce power to
the gtx1050. Not sure if it’s helping in this case…

Right. I don’t know how easily you can change the GPU that drives your OS display. I have on my desktop the configuration such that the monitor is on the built-in Intel (also a 630), but I have nothing attached to my CUDA cards. I suppose you could reach into your BIOS and see if you can make the Intel chip your primary GPU (assuming that is how laptops work).

Was wondering for Rhino Render is there way to force which GPU to use?
I updated some video drivers and possibly for laptops those maybe custom…
Now the rendering for Rhino Render comes to a halt…

BTW, Cycles is looking good as far as I checked for now. Glass material coming out well.

Rhino Render is CPU only.

Cycles for Rhino on the other hand is like Raytraced view, but in the Render Window, non-interactive, and uses same settings as Raytraced.

/Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Playing round with settings.
(changed the skylight to off and was ok for the rhino render coming to a halt)

One other question, for Intel HD 630 graphics it gets recognized, but when starting render for Cycles, Rhino crashed. (attached crashdump file)
Also it is not shown under the Cylces setting as option for openGL rendering.

Iittala_Glass_0.7wip.3dm (1.0 MB)

crash20170927.zip (16.8 MB)

Are you on the latest public WIP?

Cycles doesn’t do OpenGL rendering. Settings for Cycles (Raytraced viewport mode and Cycles for Rhino renderer) are found under Rhino Options > Cycles.

You may want to update your Intel driver, I am with my HD 630 on driver from 8-13-2017, driver version: 22.20.16.4771

Go the latest driver now from 2017/8/13 the same one you have.
Still crashes when entering cycles.
Work In Progress
(6.0.17269.9391, 2017/09/26)

Works ok with GTX1050

withLatestDriver.zip (15.9 MB)

Ah, you’re trying to use Raytraced on the Intel. I didn’t realize that before, sorry. The Intel card isn’t currently supported for OpenCL rendering. If you have all default settings for RhinoCycles you’d see that OpenCL tab doesn’t show the Intel HD 630 card - I don’t have it showing here with default settings:

I have my Intel HD for driving the display

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-9-27 (Private Developer Build, 6.0.17270.1000, Git hash:n/a)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 15Gb)

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 - Build 22.20.16.4771)

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
  Render version: 4.5
  Shading Language: 4.50 - Build 22.20.16.4771
  Driver Date: 8-13-2017
  Driver Version: 22.20.16.4771
  Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
  Total Video Memory: 1 GB

I’ll check OpenCL soon again, but for now don’t use it, as by default some cards are blacklisted (AMD pre-GCN 2, some Intel cards).

Thank you for the follow up.
I’ll
keep away from just using till it’s supported then.

As for Rhino render, will it be completely taken out?
I’m wondering for laptop and other all in one pc
that cycles rendering is bit heavy for them.

The change likely won’t happen for v6 yet, so you don’t have to worry just yet (:

1 Like