WIP toolbars revisited

Hi guys, we need to talk more about toolbars.
IMO all of the new stuff needs to be built into one GUI for the command TOOLBARS. Currently it is still all over the place and difficult to navigate and understand.

To create a new toolbar we need to open settings and find it hidden under Appearance, then click on “+” and make a rui file somewhere of choise.

Then we need to know that we need to type Toolbar in the command line to open the settings for the Toolbar file that is here called a Library. (Maybe “Toolbar.rui file” would make more sense? Or maybe “Options Appearance ToolbarLibrary” would make more sence) At least make some consistency in the naming.

But if you don’t make a macro first then you can’t make a toolbar in the new library:

So we need to type Macros and make some macros, but make sure you make it to the correct Library.

And now we can pop them over:

I save the Toolbar from Options and close Rhino. Open it and all good.
Then I add a new button by rightclicking the toolbar and choose New toolbar button and make a new macro there. Save toolbar, reopen Rhino and taadaa… the saving still messes up the old macros…

Come on guys, at LEAST let us save the toolbar with out messing up previous work.

What happens to the old svg’s?

OK, so now I test making the macros from the macros command and make two new svg’s for them:

And I want to quickly add these to the toolbar, so I hoped to pop up the dialog we got when we made the new toolbar, to quickly add many new macros, you know, this one:
But that one seems to only exist for making new toolbars.
So I add them one by one instead. Save toolbar and restart Rhino…

And… tadaa… previous stuff is lost again.

The commands, sorry Macros, are there but the previous svg’s are purged:

I am stressing this because we can not migrate to V8 unless we can customize it.

11 Likes

@pascal and @wim we can not let this pass with out a fight.

I know we can be demanding and that we want a whole bunch of shiny new things we don’t really NEED, but this is one of those things many of us actually depend upon.

In v8 we can make a new toolbar, add macros and svg’s and save the .rui file. We know that this works, so saving a NEW file is OK. So why not save a new file every time, delete the old and rename the new? It should be a walk in the park fixing this so it is usable for us. (And then you can spend all the time in the world finetuning an advanced new save function and roll it out when it’s stable)

We need the ability to save .rui files, fix that first!
It’s been two months already!

2 Likes

I added a new command to a button today, and wanted to replace another one with a new macro, but I can’t find a way to do that, is it not possible to choose another macro for a given button?

And I see I can edit the button content like in v7, but does that affect the macro or just the content of that given button?

Personally I liked the macro way of organizing commands.

2 Likes

I slightly pride myself on figuring out stuff on my own. But I’m now either ‘too old’ or ‘too overwhelmed’ with other work (modeling and rendering in rhino of course) to figure out how to get a simple toolbar imported from 7 into the 8wip. I might just be overtired, but after reading your post above and seeing the process I feel better.

I don’t understand how we went from things just working years ago to something that is now so convoluted and unhappy. I know Mcneel team is doing amazing things on shoestring budget to improve our beloved software. I’m just struggling here.

1 Like

I understand your feelings and commiserate.

I’m firmly in the ‘too old’ category myself… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sure we’ll both get used to it in time (the toolbar bit, not the too old bit), and as soon as things stabilize just a bit more, I suppose a step-by-step Wiki* article with screenshots will be something I have to write. *the Wiki is also ‘too old’ btw…

I have a V7 .rui copy that is open and works fine in V8, but it was imported a long, long time ago and I haven’t messed with it since.

HI Mitch, been a while hope you are well!
I am confident it will all work out. I just wish it would work out easier and sooner. Getting old is great in some ways, really sucks in other ways.

OK I was griping too much and didn’t have enough sleep. I’m back in business with toolbars and will let the devs go back to having fun with this! I really love the quick hide button for the side bar panels!!! Almost worth the pain right there alone!

Thanks for pointing that out! Great addition!

@stevebaer I see that the save toolbar is still messing up the old icons:

Any news on when we can expect a fix for this? I would love to be able to start testing V8 on our workflow.

1 Like

Hei Jørgen -

RH-74605 is marked “Major” and is on the 8.0 list.
-wim

1 Like

Thanks, so sometime before release is all we know now?

Add icon and save:
reopen Rhino:
Add new icons and save:
reopen Rhino:

@pascal and @wim, sorry for sounding like a broken record, but this REALLY needs to be fixed now!

How do you expect plugindevelopers to have plugins ready by the time you launch Rhino if they can’t save the toolbars?

2 Likes

Gentle reminder that at our company no one is even touching this beta until we see signs that we can properly load/save/restore our toolbars.

Everything seems important and there’s finite times and resources at McNeel, like at most companies. But I hope you guys start (or continue) to address this as a top priority.

Thanks,

G

3 Likes

Same here, so until then I will not be able to betatest or report on new features. Which is a shame because that is what the WIP and Beta phase is for, and I am pretty darn good at finding bugs :wink:

2 Likes

We have a fix for this that will be available in the next beta.

3 Likes

A fix for this is in the latest beta that we just released. The fix has not gone through internal testing yet which is why we haven’t made the typical declaration that it truly is “fixed”

Downloading now, can’t wait to test it out and see if I finally can save a backup of my V8 Toolbar. The above posts has just been testing.

Your icon making tool is really bad, will that get a workover as well?
At least fix the ellipse tool.

EDIT: Initial tests seems promising. Thanks for finally fixing this.
I’ll report back if I find any issues.

We need a “Save As” option that relinks to the new .rui file. Now we only have “Save” and that isn’t enough.

And/or an “Export” option so we can save to a server with out relinking.

Example:
I work locally on my computer with the toolbars and save as a “toolbar v1,03.rui” while the others are running the “toolbar v1,02.rui” file that is on the server. So a quick way to handle this would be good.
V7 works well with it’s option to save the toolbar as a different name.

Cheers.

I just saved my v8 toolbar and it worked! No icons lost, finally!

So I closed the toolbar (from options to remove it from Rhino) and then I imported it again, but now none of the toolbars are visible…
So I have to type Toolbars,
go to the pulldown and
find my toolbar and
toggle on the toolbars I want visible.
And then adjust the shape of the toolbar and move them to where I want them to be.

When I saved it was located as a tab, but on import after making them visible, they ended up in the middle of the screen.

Please add location and shape to the save.

(8.1.23292.13533, 2023-10-19)

I didn’t try for SVG icons, I first played with a V7 RUI.
This is still there: