WIP SubD Dino 246

I restored a 71’ 240z and I was warned not to fix the schizophrenic panel gaps if I intended to show it at any higher end shows because it’ll get dinged for being unoriginal… :joy:

3 Likes

That’s a nice car! Lots of similar elements going on between these two.

Some details in the rear:

(This is tedious stuff… :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Started with the went. Needs some fine tuning, but slowly getting there.

8 Likes

Bravo!!

1 Like

Great work @Holo
Would be nice to see an early render of it, the current lack of shadow under the car makes it look floating a bit. Or maybe you can render out a floor shadow and map it to the floor.

1 Like

Sure.

Lit with two rectangular lights (one large over head, one for detailing), a dimmed down hdri.
Linear falloff on the lights. Rhino Render (cycles in Rhino 7) 50 samples, Intel denoiser.
12.5 seconds on an RTX 2060 Super.

I have tweaked the air vent a bit, and added some crome detail to the front screen rubber.
Now it needs wipers, mirrors some tuning of the vent and the door, adding some gaps to the bumbers etc, but the exterior is getting close to done. It’s a great shape study, inspiring to see how much more interesting these old hand drawn and sculpted cars are than todays super-computer aided cars are, and SubD is fantastic for sketching and tweaking stuff like this. But I wish the UI was improved for faster and more accurate modelling as @gustojunk has tried to express on multiple occasions.

10 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!

Great to see these first renderings!

Thanks for the request, rendering at this stage showed off some areas that needs improvements, so I got right at it. Here the hatch release is added, and the bumper is tweaked (+ it got that odd little nob added in there too) Licenseplate got an outline too.

3 Likes

this is my current favorite thread!

1 Like

Small updates, added panel gaps, vents over engine, tuned some shapes, added some dummy interior stuff, details like vipers etc. Now I need to add tire wing nuts (and “air filling thingos”). But it’s getting close to a final state now.

Here rendered in black:

Enjoy, and please comment on improvements you want to see :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There’s really only one color and it’s not orange or black! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Inspirational mastery of subd, Holo. Could you flatten and spread the lower portion of the tyres to show they are weight bearing? Ought to be “easy” in subd…

And for nostalgia, Tony Curtis leaning against it.

2 Likes

Personally I think orange suits the build better as it shifts the brain over from just seeing an old red Ferrari to a more form investigating mode (IMHO), but according to stats 85% were red, so it’s no doubt more iconic. I’ll see what I end up with.

Here the wing nut and the nozzle is added too, plus a slight bulge to the tire.

5 Likes

Just got around to add some visual details to the front:

Grill has gotten ribs and the blinker and the headlights has gotten some internal geometry. I just made some mesh geometry for the glass to refract on internally.

14 Likes

LOVE it!!

1 Like

Wow that’s hottt

1 Like

Thanks for all the nice comments and the likes. Here the rear lights has gotten some simple refractive geometry too:
But now I feel the tires needs a revisit to get the shape fine tuned.

Then I think we are ready for some gallery exterior images.

8 Likes

Fantastic !!
Really very inspiring.

1 Like

Can you give us a comparison shot with this?

Truly EXCELLENT work!! Can you talk about your lights? You mention some basic geometry to refract the light - can you tell us more?