Audi Avus Zwei

This is a 3-seater sports car that I originally designed back in 1999 in 2d and as a small half gipsum scale model.

Recently, I wanted to test the capabilities of the new SubD modeling tools in Rhino 7, so I decided to create something organic that would otherwise take to long time to create with the usual NURBS tools. Not to mention the time required to modify the shape according to my taste. With SubD, editing the shape is extremely quick, because it uses Catmull-Clark geometry.

I used to call my design Audi R9 SS at the time, but now I changed its name to Audi Avus Zwei, as a tribute to the famous 1991 Audi Avus Quattro prototype used to showcase Audi’s advanced aluminum technology that the company pioneered in the early 90’s.

However, for my design I choose a few different material finishes instead of aluminum, such like titanium and copper. Optionally, the rocker panels could be painted in white, silver or any other colour in a similar fashion as the distinctive coloured side panels of Audi R8.

21 Likes

I added a rear diffuser and underbody deflectors around the wheels. The rear bumper also has a slightly more optimized shape.

10 Likes

Shining Brilliant~ :heart:

1 Like

Love the smooth surface!
white and metal one looks really nice.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, guys! I appreciate your opinion!

@Toshiaki_Takano , when I do car design I always use the panel gaps as a design feature and try to make them flow across the body shape in a specific way to enhance the looks. This particular concept has the bare minimum of body panels and does not rely on sharp crease lines typically used on the majority of cars as an easy way to give them more character, this is why its overall look highly depends on how the panel gaps are arranged. If they are done right and have an interesting shape, the car could greatly benefit from having different colour on the rocker panels.

1 Like

lovely concept and history depiction. for my taste a little bit too bubbly, if the roundings could be maybe a bit more filigree and accentuated. love the white patch render, gives it some audi feeling. generally the high gloss is too heavy bling bling imho :smiley:

1 Like

If things get right, I would love to develop this particular sports car with a normal roof and proper door windows based on my current project. This is why I created the Audi Avus Zwei using the same wheels, wheelbase, height etc. :slight_smile:

Here is it painted in white and red. Due to the minimalistic bio design and a total absence of crease lines, the car does not have the same visual impact like the version with reflective coating and looks too bland by the modern standards. Adding a front license plate will help a bit.

3 Likes

Wonderful!
:wink::clap:

1 Like

Render engine used?
Keyshot, maybe? :thinking:
I’m curious… :wink:

Yes, Keyshot 8 HD from 2018. For my basic needs it’s not worth to upgrade to the new Keyshot 10 and I will probably use it for many years to come. :slight_smile: I also use an old PC* from 2014 and don’t consider buying a modern one, because Rhino 7’s viewport rendering is very responsive with the car scenes I create and throwing more money will not help me work faster.

• Intel Core i5-4460, 4x 4GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB, 250 GB SDD Samsung 850 EVO. By the end of 2019 I still had GTX 960 2GB and 8GB DDR3 RAM :rofl:, but then upgraded them a bit, because files above 1,5 GB were too heavy for my machine. Now I work on files up to 2,5 GB big and everything is blazing fast.

I’m even more amazed! You’re very capable: good!
I use Rhino 7 (for pleasure only), Vray for work, I have an average powerful PC… and, unlike you, I can do almost nothing! :sleepy::man_facepalming::joy::joy:

I forgot to say that I have a degree in architecture and one in art history… At least these…! :laughing:

1 Like

Since you use V-Ray for work, it’s natural that you have a powerful PC. :slight_smile: V-Ray is very demanding on the CPU and RAM, and also the GPU if you use its GPU acceleration.
For modeling purposes, however, Rhino is quite modest and even a 10-year old hardware can do the job perfectly fine most of the time with files up to 1GB. I always wondered why some people (especially students) spend thousands of Euros on brand new expensive PCs and laptops while the 3d scenes they do in Rhino are relatively simple. :slight_smile: And they don’t make renderings at all. I know several graphics design students like that and some of them told me something like: “I want to be prepared for when I graduate and need more compute power after several years”. Until that happens, there will be newer models at half the price that are more powerful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so this is… ZEXI

1 Like