Why is this happening?

if I view from one side model looks ok, spin to other side and it looks invisable ?

imported model from sketchup file…

Objects that are extremely far (millions of units) from the world origin suffer from display and precision problems… https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/farfromorigin

You can also try unifyMeshNormals command.
In addition, you can also check Backface settings from Rhino options:

I have this constantly when importing skp models in Rhino, from my experience the importer is totally broken and has nothing to do with the model being far from the origin. Just this week I experienced this issue with two models, and the models were completely destroyed. One solution is exporting to obj from SketchUp and importing that obj within Rhino.

Just for the record, here you can see the same problem with a very simple file I personally modelled in SketchUp. Same problem as in yours, reversed and duplicated faces everywhere. Running unify mesh normals will not solve the problem, so if anyone have any insight about how to solve this model.
fromSketchUp.3dm (4.6 MB)

Same model imported in V5 Mac does not show this problem…

i like the OBJ export idea, but I only have sketchup free so no option… thank you for all your help. at the moment I am exploding all bad parts which seems to help the issue.

Hi @rfollett, did you try using V5 instead of V6 for importing? On the Mac it works better a I said in my earlier post.

yes I did… I am then using the model in Lumion to render… it was here that I noticed the issue… many thanks.

Painful having to fix all parts…

Why is this Rhino’s problem and not SketchUp’s? In other words,you expect McNeil to do all the work to make objects compatible between the 2 programs. And yet SketchUp is clearly the inferior product.

@jespizua - Can you please post the skp file?

-Pascal

Perhaps this is a conscious marketing decision by Sketchup: Cripple the free version export capability in order to drive users to the paid version?

Excuse me?? It was McNeel the one that decided to support SketchUp files, so I expect the importer to be functional, don’t you think so?
SketchUp is an industry standard in the architectural field, so supporting it does make a lot of sense, hence most mayor CAD/BIM/Viz softwares like Archicad, Vectorworks, Revit, Cinema4D, 3dsMax… support native Skp files.

3 Likes

Hi @pascal, thanks for taking a look. There are many things that don’t work properly with the skp importer, not just the geometry issue we are discussing here. Let me know if you want a list with those problems, I just don’t want to put them here and hijack this topic.

Here is the original SketchUp fileaskatasuna_master.skp (4.1 MB)

see attached - many thanks, I have thined down the model…

test.skp (131.3 KB)

calm down, I was just asking a simple question… if you can help then please do so. many thanks

1 Like

Quite often SKP meshes come in with flipped normals. Try _Flip command.
Somtimes though it would also flip good looking meshes, depending on how joined they are.
You may try SplitDisjointMesh first.
Also, if you explode the bad looking mesh it should look good, sometimes on joining back it gets fixed, sometimes not. So also after exploding you can try MeshToNurbs, Join, ExtractRenderMesh - it usually fixes it. None of these are ideal workarounds and I wish it just imported well, but at least something to try…

1 Like

@jespizua - The ugly mesh, as Rhino reads it is chock full of manifold edges.

That is what is messing up the display - whether that is a Rhino or an SKP problem, I could not say but it looks to me like that is where the problem is.

@rfollett - so far I do not see a problem here in V6 with your test.skp.

-Pascal

Hi @pascal, actually those edges belong to a separated group created by a section plane in sketchUp, it is just for documentation purposes. The 2d SketchUp’s group is translated as a block instance in Rhino and it shouldn’t be messing with the actual 3d model.

To test if the issue was related to that 2d group of lines, I opened the same SketchUp file in Vectorworks, and you can see how clean the model is in there:

Also, another thing I noticed when I imported the skp in Vectorworks, is that Rhino doesn’t pay any attention to what layers are on/off in the original file. It would be nice if this would be supported.

As I said in a previous post, the skp in Rhino fails most of the time, it is not related to this file as I’ve this problem many times.

Thanks,
José

Hi Jose - just to be clear about my image , the red lines in my images are sections through the mesh that does not display correctly, taken in Rhino.

-Pascal

So, you are not talking about this group?

Well, I’m confused then, but I guarantee you that the native SketchUp file is very clean and doesn’t have any errors, the problem is generated in Rhino.