Bug: Move from w0 to far coordinate cause strange behaviour

Hello,

I modelled some basic geometry object in other file close to origin then copied to clipboard then pasted into other file and moved it to its desired position far from origin.

It causes artifacts that displayed geometry and edges do not coincide.
I tried to delete one face of a polysurface and cap. After capping it started looking alright.

how is moving causing troubles but once object is modified suddenly its all right again. some regeneration process is in the background?
Is it a rhino internal bug or display bug related to drivers etc.

Hi Ivan - that’s a typical far-from-origin issue where the display meshes are using “single precision” numbers to create the mesh faces. The underlying NURBS geometry is not affected.
That said, most of these issues should be gone.

Could you post a simple example so that I can try to reproduce? One file with an object close to the origin and then a different file with the location that you are moving the object to.
Thanks,
-wim

box_far_from_origin.3dm (53.8 KB)

this is just a box moved 300km away from origin in millimeters. if you delete one surface and cap it back you will see how the display issue is gone

Hi Ivan - That specific procedure seems to be working a lot better in the Rhino 7 WIP. In Rendered mode, the mesh of the box looks perfect; in Shaded mode there’s some odd shading going on. I’ll get that on the list - RH-57025.
-wim

1 Like

this is correct approach. improving good software gradually to technical and logical perfection with fair pricing, respoding to users needs and bug reporting

autodesk aproach is to take money annually from people for soft which has not been touched for 20years not even capable of cumulative length of two lines (speaking of autocad), just for 3000eur per year.

i hope you will reclaim lot of users from autodesk in upcoming years.