What's the right way to chamfer and fillet this angled body?

Take a basic situation like this. I loft 2 profile curves together, and then BooleanDifference out an angled section of it. What I’m ultimately looking for is:

1. A nice chamfered edge around the outside face of the body.
  2. And a fillet on the edge where the angle begins.

As you can see, I can’t even get a clean chamfer without this breakup:

What’s the best process for getting a combination chamfer edge and fillet on the angle? Should this all somehow be occurring in the curve stage before I even loft?

File: chamfer.3dm (246.9 KB)

Hello - make the cross-wise chamfer as a second operation.

-Pascal

Just following up on my own post, I was able to accomplish this with more work at the curve stage:

I created inner offset curves from the beginning…

Then, filleted the curves I’m using to cut the bodies…

Then, extruded them into a surface…

Then, boolean differenced…

Then, lofted between the two final surfaces.

However, this still doesn’t create perfect results. Because let’s say I then want to fillet the chamfered edge (to give it that smooth realistic quality).

Running a fillet causes the closed polysurface to break into an open polysurface.

So, I suppose I’m looking for a modeling approach here that will result in surfaces that are much more “usable” in the process of design, which are less prone to falling apart.

Is the answer simply that there are never easy shortcuts? :slight_smile: Because I suppose I could just create a cross section that emulates the fillet & line, and then sweep rail along one of the sections.

Pinging @Rhino_Bulgaria for his infinite wisdom :wink:

“RailType=DistBetweenRails” with radius 3 or slightly less than 3 gives you the most clean looking chamfer. Adding fillets on top of that is no problem. :slight_smile: I use Rhino 6 Evaluation that expired, so unfortunately I can’t upload the solution here. But you can easily do it by yourself.

Here’s my shot at this. Let me know if it’s what you’re looking for and I can delineate the steps.

Thanks,
Dennis
chamfer_2.3dm (789.4 KB)

Is that 3d model a side member of a modular sway bar for a sports car?

Early stage exploring a concept :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would use Pipe with radius 2 to split the surfaces and then Sweep 2:

and then Fillet

2 Likes

After cutting the surfaces with “Pipe”, if you split the edges in a “predictable” way, you could build series of separate “Sweep 2 rails” or “Blend surface” (G1) or “Loft surface” (with eventual removal of the unnecessary rows of control points to become degree 1) so that they would appear as if they were created with the “Chamfer” tool. That would make the 3d model lighter.

1 Like