We need to talk about Offset

Dear Rhino/Grasshopper developers thanks for Rhino 6, many useful improvements, render, Rhinocommon functions … but there is an old subject Polyline Offset see this thread :

Are there some news about Polyline offset ?
I know Clipper is a good solution for Grasshopper and Rhino.
Update : @pascal it is not a Grasshopper question more a Rhino core function. There is a reliability problem with offset Polyline. It doesn’t work on some the cells which are simple polygon (see the picture).
The same as in Grasshopper, I used Rhino 6 and offset multiple

And Clipper solution

Laurent

offset fail.gh (6.9 KB)

10 Likes

Laurent,

Provide your e_mail (I have a gift for you)

Thanks for bringing this up again here. It’s been bugging me quite regularly as well.

2 Likes

Any response from the mcneel team? Can Clipper be incorporated into Rhino?

3 Likes

Still a bug. Apparently, in closed curves, it randomly chooses the inside.
I have ran into this in two separate projects.

Clipper shout definitly incorporated to GH and rhino…

2 Likes

Read this old but good thingy (the general case is PolyCurve offset):

anoffsetalgorithm.pdf (723.4 KB)

1 Like

Dear @laurent_delrieu,

I am bringing this old thread.

Is there a good way to offset curves that contains line and arc segments?
The issue is that clipper offsets only polylines and arcs are represented as many points.
The CNC I am using does not like many points, and I would like to have arcs and lines as a tool-path.

Is there any way to offset this polycurve with a good line-arc curve?

@PeterFotiadis
The paper you reference, is there a code too? :slight_smile:

AFAIK No

Any answer to that ? Same issue here…Trying to offset a bunch of open polycurves, @PeterFotiadis anything more that can help ? Thanks in advance

Emanuel.

Well … since all my stuff is strictly internal (CNC routing and the likes) the only thing that I can do is to provide some indicative help in case that you want to try to write a C# that does that (Liu’s paper attached above should be your quide).

1 Like

You might have a better answer in the official Clipper forum:

1 Like

Ok, I am trying to make offsets in the curves that overlap in the border of the piece, on the undercuts. Any clue on this would be very nice. You already helped me in another post, but it was for a different situation of offsets, many thanks. No problem with C#, I am far for been an expert, but I wil try.

Emanuel

I will check that too, thanks !!

Hello
@Petras_Vestartas

Yes it is possible. You can do that
Use Clipper
Make a small script that takes a polyline and extract arc or line.
I did that, and if tolerance for converting polyline to arcs and lines is more than 2 or 3 it works :

@visose did show a way to do it, but it is a bit too simple.

See Arc Welder

3 Likes

Any news on this?

I’m experiencing some ridiculous offset fails in Grasshopper Rhino 7 (latest version) which do not fail in Rhino,

Is there a way to call the Rhino offset command in C# while maintaining tree structure in GH?

Found the culprit… but it works fine if ran in Rhino

Hello
some news on offset and Clipper, a new version of Clipper is there
http://www.angusj.com/clipper2/Docs/Overview.htm
I hope to use it as a replacement of Clipper1.

9 Likes

Clipper2 on C++, seems to be stable, performance wise could be better, but it is definitely simpler to use than Clipper1:

1 Like

When you run it in Rhino, where you click the mouse can help avoid a bad result if a bad result was going to happen. But only sometimes.

:partying_face: It’s time to start preparing for the 10 year jubileum of the original topic on the grasshopper forum next year.
Who brings the drinks? Who brings the party hats? Can anyone take care of making a photoalbum with a collection of offset issues?
Let’s set it off.

6 Likes