Voronoi Cube attractor

Hi everyone!

It’s my first project in Grasshopper here :see_no_evil:

I would like to make a voronoi cube (which a succeed til’ here) but with possibly with an attractor at the center of the cube. The center should be hollow and then gradually densify by the periphery.

My goal is to optimise the structure so it’s more dense at the highest stress points and lighter where it’s needed (in this case, at the center), but this is just to understand the purpose of the exercice.

Here are two images; one from my regular voronoi cube and one from the type of gradient I would like to obtain in my voronoi 3D structure.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.46.39 AM

Exercice Voronoi 3.gh (8.2 KB)

You need Heteroptera plugin for this definition

3d vornoi.gh (8.1 KB)

2 Likes

Have not used that component, is the effect different than using Pull Point in this case?

I didn’t try that

Maybe Evaluate field also useful

Welcome @bb_yoda_1,

Or are you looking for something like this:

The black dot represents the middle point.

Oh thanks a lot!! That looks great, will try it right away!

Thank you! Yes, this seems interesting too. Is it something that can be done in 3D?

Yes, absolutely, although the effects are only visible, if you cut into the cube in 3D.

You can do this for instance by using a clipping plane in the Rhino viewport. You don’t even have to bake the geometry for this to work.

This example was done with 10,000 points, which might take some time, depending on your computers performance. In three dimensions, you need far more points to get interesting results than in 2D. Things get interesting at about 5,000 points.

vornoi_3d.gh (15.1 KB)

2 Likes

Hello again!

@anon39580149 I opened your file and it works very nice. Just not sure how I could merge together with my «wireframe» Deconstruct Brep…Do you think there is smth that could be done?

I join here my file where I pasted both models and in the third one, I naively «tried» to make them work together. Any clues?

Cube Voronoi_Heteroptera.gh (15.0 KB)

1 Like

If you want that cells looks like they are exploded use my definition ; if not use the definition of @diff-arch

1 Like

Wow very impressive! @diff-arch do you think I could use the edges as tubular extrusion? Could Eventually, I would like to print a wireframe object in 3D :nerd_face:

Got it thank you so much! :pray:

1 Like

Absolutely! Simply deconstruct the Vornoi cells, like you did in your example, and thicken the resulting edges with for instance Cocoon. It will probably be a good idea to use dupLn (removeDuplicateLines) from Kangaroo on the egdes beforehand, to get rid of unnecessary duplicates.

@diff-arch your definition worked out! Sorry for the posting delay :wink:

Thanks to all for your help!!

Cube_30x30_Bake.gh (14.9 KB)

1 Like

How can I use the formula you have made now to make the shape a sphere?