Populate 2d - Control of Random Variation

The populate 2d is great. However, Im doing a acoustic panelling and would like to ask;

What is best practice to produce algorithmic random points but have control on the random nature.
eg
voronoi example

here you can see the placement is way too regular. Need to define min and max for the point placement

I cant really see any method that isnt destructive…eg I did try random reduce but doesnt vary as its really a parameter issue Im thinking so its still quite regular. Any help be so welcome. Feeling like a noob with this :wink:

Cheers

Hi @m.wesse,

You can usually control the random pattern with the S (seed) input of the component in question, although I’m not sure if that is what you’re looking for.

The PopxD (Populate 2D or 3D ) components try to randomly populate a region with more or less equally spaced points, which is nice, since in most cases you don’t want uneven point populations. However, this means that the cells of the derived Vornoi pattern appear also fairly even in terms of their size.
If you want to change this, you need to vary the point population! Make it denser in some part and less dense in others. This can be done in many different ways. Here’s an example from this topic.

Thanks so much @[p1r4t3b0y…thank knowledge is helpful. Yes I was hoping to master the procedural emulation rather than manual; a bit like in a managed forest, the growth is very random but there are thin areas, more dense areas and so on. Using a fractal influence eg cloud like would be great…but I guess I have quite a way to go till I get anywhere closer to that.

You can use circle packing with different diameter.

Thats a great resource…thanks. The goal will eventually be automated generation of a sound wave diffusion calculator for studios, cafes etc. Even though the frequency will not drill down to eg 400hz it should beautifully manage mid+highs. Ultimately would be brilliant to feed it an averaged impulse response from a room (converted into an appropriate format) and have it respond appropriately (to create the forms for the solution)