VisualARQ Bugs, Suggestions, Wishlist items

Hello, gathering some stuff here for VA Developers’ Reference. They are based on the previous version of VA. Just installed the April 2023 version and will re-examine the issues. Some suggestions may have been discussed in this forum before.

Bugs:

A. One and very important: UNDO in large files can take up to 1 or two minutes. Native rhino objects can always undo instantly. Sometimes VA objects can undo instantly, but only in ie. 1 out of 20 undos. Same VA objects can undo very slow, or instantly, just a matter of luck/random. It seems like rebuilding of the whole file, but it takes even longer that when first loading the file. It makes using undo with VA simply impossible. EDIT: cannot seem to replicate, using many different saved versions of the problematic files. Most probably with the new update that mentions “performance fixes”, this issue has been fixed as well.

B. Selecting two beams and changing beam style changes it only for one beam. This did not happen. Happens after the last update. Beams where created from curves. If you Copy Beams, it refreshes ok. Attaching file in an answer below.

C. Beam Update seems broken. In most of the cases, when changing beam point after creation, a VAUpdate Command is needed for the trimming to work properly. Beam Trimming seams broken anyway, even same beams with matching points on the same plane, cannot trim, if they are not created as a closed loop from start.

D. When moving filleted corner points (with gumball or move command), the mid point of the fillet moves dramatically to the outer of the fillet (perpendicular to the arc), which result in very weird geometry. See comment with pictures below.

Suggestions/Wishlist.

1. Plan Views and Section Views to retain object properties and layer when exported to Autocad. Lines should be joined ie. perimeter of wall, section of a column, or at least grouped by object. (discussed in this forum: Plan and Section Views Line grouping per Object/Layer - #2 by fsalla)

2. Set print colour according to distance from cut level. (discussed in this forum, Wishlist: Plan/Sections Views Print Colour by distance from cut Plane)

3. Skip objects when projecting in Plan Views/Sections. In example skip curves, specific layers, object types, object names. This can be manual done but it is a real hassle when working, especially when sections/plan views are refreshed regurarly. Integrating into Section/Plan View Properties, would be great.

4. Windows/Doors/Opening for Slabs. For glass doors and attic/roof windows. It could be a switch in object properties “Attach to Slab” that would allow the VA Object to attach to slabs.

5. Select object by Level. For VA Objects but also Breps/Curves. A dialog to select levels and filter in/out objects can be provided.

6. Roofs: Highlight Slopes when selected in Slope Angle Options. Keep slope angle dialog open after setting a value. List should stay in same value (now it jumps to first value).

7. Provide all VA Styles as editable .gh files. So that users can alter what is necessary without recreating from scratch. That would be very useful for ie. changing a VA window to a GH VA Window, without the width and height resetting (they would take the same values from original window). So, for objects that this is possible, provide GH Templates that users can start with. Very valuable for doors and windows, ie. to add tents, louvers, and so on.

8. Snap to Levels dashed lines in Rhino Viewports. That means when we create or move any object in rhino viewport, to be able to snap on the VALevel Dashed Lines, without the need to create Curves in rhino, to snap on.

9. Windows/Doors to be resizable like walls/curtain walls. Directly from point handles for width and height. Allignment should switch to left or right temporarily so that opposite side does not change.

10. Wall extension (top/bottoms) add option “follow end profile” or “extend objects”. Desired functionality: To stop ie. a Roof is 1mm less than the wall below, the wall from extending to the top of the roof, even as a 1mm slice. Wall should extend up to the extensions of the roof’s bottom surface.

11. Beam Booleans are incorrect if offset is applied. Extensions should be done after offset, or something else.

12. Doors and windows do not cut other walls in diagonal cut connections and/or cut depth is not enough to cut through them. Cut depth could be also manually adjusted separately for inside/outside. The issue occures when a door is placed near a wide angle wall corner.

13. Bottom walls affect corners of walls above. This has to do with the complicated boolean algorythm. A solution would be to ignore walls above or below when calculating booleans. This issue should be isolated and discussed better.

14. Trimming and joining of diagonal 3 wall connection (Y shape) is very unpredictable. It almost never produces a correct result, even with walls of same type. This issue should be isolated and discussed better. It may occur when the top offset of walls follows a roof.

15. Ability to change the curve degree in Railings, Walls, Slabs, etc. The option is there, but it cannot be edited. That would be very usefull when ie. wanting to test a filleted or straight balcony.

16. Abitlity to add points to a stair, railing, and so on.

17. Option to Move any object that belongs to the level, when changing Level height. (this would work with the select object by level, which is already available in grasshopper but not in rhino)

18. Allow Rhino Breps that are used as Booleans to cut VAObjects, to be snapped when modified. Now we can move them from the center point but cannot snap to their edges or points, in order to make accurate changes.

19. When changing Beam or other Styles, Choose a profile that best matches the current profile, based on Height, Then Width. Ie. a HEB 240 should change to a HEM 240M or an RHF 250x150x12.5. Understanding that this may be somewhat compicated (especially thickness wise in profiles with many thicknesses), but it would be “logical”, user experience wise.

4 Likes

Hi @flatform,

Please, could you send me one of those files pointing out which command you are trying to undo and on which object? I will try to reproduce the issue to find a solution.

Plan and Section views already keep their layers when they are exported to AutoCAD. As for object properties, which properties would you lilke to keep? Could you give me some examples? In which post has this previously been discussed? As for having lines joined, they are already grouped in a block, I guess you are exploding this block, why do you need to do this?

Where has this previously been discussed?

You can hide curves or objects so that they don’t show up in the plan/section view. You can also hide layers once the plan or section view has been created as well.

This will be available in VisualARQ 3.

I have already reported this issue for future development.

Ok, I agree in all of that; I will add it to our list.

Not all VisualARQ styles are created with a Grasshopper definition, so I am not sure if this is possible. Anyway, I will report it to check its feasibility.

What do you mean?

I will add this to our list. However, you can use the scale 1D to modify them:

Window

Do you mean having something like an offset for the extentsion? How would be the geometric final result?

Please, could you send me an example to make sure I understand what you mean?

How do you need to place the door/window? Please, could you send me an example? I will test it.

Please, could you send me an example where this is happening? I will check it.

Yes, I think I need more information about this. Maybe an example where this connection is not doing what you expect and a comparison with what you need.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and the tips. Have edited the original post to include links and some more details on ie. snap to levels, and so on. Also added 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and Bugs B, C.

Here is a file that shows the probable issue in 12. Will try to prepare samples for the other issues as well.

12_Doors_Diagonal_Cuts.3dm (2.8 MB)

Bug B. Only one Beam changes Style. If copied or moved, or manually run VAUpdate, beams refresh correctly.

B_Only_One_Beam_Changes_Style.3dm (2.8 MB)

Bug D. See Images. When moving filleted corners in SOME slabs (and/or railings i think), geometry gets distorted because fillet midpoint moves far away from the center of the fillet, in relation to the distance it moves, but maybe ^2 to that. This bug happens both with the latest and previous versions of VA.

D_fillet_issues.3dm (510.6 KB)

14 (and maybe 13) is now isolated i think. The issue is that walls do not have the same height, but are top extended to the same object. This confuses the algorithm and does not makes the booleans properly. Bottom half of the walls is correctly joined, the rest (above the lower wall’s height), is not. If you set the height of all involving walls to be the same, it works as expected. I cannot know what is the best solution for this. Either put it in the Manuals or Tutorials as suggestions, or fix the boolean algorithm to compute in the right way or order.

Images and rhino files below.

14_Diag_Wall_Trimming.3dm (6.0 MB)

Hi @flatform,

I have been testing it but it is working fine to me:

Beam style

Are you getting this error everytime? Are you changing the style in the same way or are you using a different method?

I think this is what you mean:

Beams trim

I will add this to our wishlist. Anyway, you can use the fillet command for that:

Fillet

I think it is working fine. You have got three points defining an arch so if you move the middle point, the arch will have a bigger radius. If you want to modify the slab in a different way you can modify the boundary using the _vaSlabAdd and the _vaSlabSubtract commands.

We are working to make possible linking objects to levels. I will let you know when this is possible.

I see what you mean now. I will add this to our list.

I will report this for walls and railings. As for slabs, I will request the possibility to redifine their boundary as well.

What do you mean?

We are working to link objects to levels. I will let you know when this is ready.

I will add this to our list as well.

I will think about this.

Bug D. I am moving all the fillet points (the whole “side” of the balcony) together. It is only the middle fillet point that decides on it’s own to move differently. I repeat, on it’s own will, and not at the same rate. Ie if i move all the points (including the middle one) 0.5m to the right (to make the balcony smaller) the middle moves diagonally 10m (and not 0.5m to the right), and creates the giant flipped circle slab.Try it in the D_fillet_issues.3dm yourself. It does not happen with all fillets, but it is somewhat common. It happens in this slab and other objects in the same file. So see what is strange with this base curve.

Bug B. Refreshing of Beams when applying another style. It does not happen every single time. It is random. I would say more like half of the times. It seems irrelevant to any kind of procedure. I just create two continuous beams within the same command, select them, try to change style. Whether i am in the same category and i change profile or change the whole category, or if i deselect and reselect. changes nothing. The problem is just random, but is corrected every time with a manual update. So may i suggest to fix it in a quick way by adding an update at the end of the command.

1. Snap to level dashed lines. I meant to be able, while drawing or any command to snap on the dashed Level lines in viewport. So in Rhino VA Preferences: Display: Show level marks in elevation views ADD option under the show level marks option: Snap to elevation views.

2. Ability to add points to VASlab, Stairs, etc. I mean something like Rhino Insert Control Point or Insert Knot. To be able to add points when needed, without having to recreate the VAObject just to add a knot. Let us say like the VASplit commant, but without the object actually splitting.

1. Wall Offsets. Let us say we have a roof(or any object) and a wall extend past it, but we want it to retain the top offset roof bottom shape. Now we can only create a copy of the roof (or object), set it as wall top offset, hide it. But if we change the original shape, it all must be done from scratch. I do not know it this extension should be surface extension (so that it retains any angle or curvature) or simple extrude of the edges. It needs more contemplation. An example is below. The red surface is the imaginary extruded edge that cuts the wall, even if it outside the roof, when the option “follow end profile” (or whatever the name) is on.

Here it is an extreme example that would be also valid (ie. the same could be added to walls following stairs), but the option is mostly to be used for roofs that are marginally over the objects, like an easy “cleanup” option.

Hi @flatform,

I could reproduce it as well. I am reporting this to find a solution and I will let you know when it is fixed.

I am trying to reproduce it but it works fine to me. How are you doing it?

Control points

I could reproduce it now and I have just reported it. I will keep you updated about this.

Once objects are linked to levels they will belong to that level. Also, you can already “snap” to a level to create objects at that elevation by using the Level Manager:

Snap to levels

I have just added your vote to these issues.

I am not sure what you mean. What do you mean by “top offset roof bottom shape”? Anyway, if this is your concern:

You don’t need to do it again from scratch; the wall extend will be updated to the new roof shape.

Extended wall

Thank you for the replies. Do consider that i am familiar with most if not all VA capabilities, an advanced grasshopper user, avid software debugger, developer, keen to help, especially smaller companies and programming groups :). Please excuse me for the need to declare all this, it is just mentioned so we speak at a more specific technical level, bypassing the basic stuff. We should always be reminded of things that may slip though, indeed!

I will send you a video of the fillet moving issues. You should grab all of the “side” points of the balcony, like you are trying to make it longer, without changing the basic shape. So, move all of the points together with the fillet. That is 99.9% the desired outcome when working anyway. You have a filleted balcony, and you want to change it’s length or width, while keeping the fillet as is, so you grab all of the points needed. If the fillet changes, then it is a problem, either with the point selection, the curve itself, understanding of how nurbs work, or the algorithm, the latter being the case here. Not sure if it is Rhino or VA issue, as it has been happening in earlier rhino and VA versions.

1. As for the wall offsets roof issue,you can find a detailed file and snapshot above, and one attached here, with the .3dm. It is very well known that wall adapt to changes of roof or whatever is set as top offset. Yet, I think there is a need for an option to virtually extend the top offset surface, so that even when the wall surpasses it, it remains trimmed. The surface shown in RED at the images above (in previous reply), simulate the virtual (and invisible) surface VA should create, in order to keep the wall trimmed. The red surface will not appear anywhere (as shown in this reply, red is invisible), just a trimmed wall but with no roof on top. Reattaching a screenshot with the desired functionality. This will help A. for general modelling B. to clear “dirty” geometry that may be out of the roof’s or any object, by a mm or two.

10_Wall_offset_Keep_Profile.3dm (711.9 KB)

1. Snap to Level/Elevation Marks (dashed lines in viewport). I repeat. I am discussing about merely for normal Rhino Snapping on the Elevation dashed lines, not anything else related to Levels. I am fully aware of how Levels work, the auto change in the elevation of Construction Planes when you select a Level and so on. This is the reason we use VA. In the past we had to create all of this environment ourselves. So, asking only for snapping on the Elevation dashed lines, so, as we work on the file, to be able to snap on the lines when viewing from the side (right/front orthographic views). Now we have to manually place straight lines to each elevation, and move them if the elevation changes, in order to snap. So, just normal Rhino Snapping on the Elevation dash lines, as if they were real geometry lines. Like a snap to grid, the grid being the elevation marks. Is that clear now?

Thank you again for the replies, preparing the fillet point video.

Trying to find a solution for filleted slab points. Here is what happens. The file is the one uploaded above.

fillet_issue

Found a working, seemingly same slab. If i remember correctly both where created by a filleted curve, or could either be from same copied slab (and got corrupted later).

See if you can extract and compare the working to the non working slabs.

fillet_issue_2
D_fillet_issues_2.3dm (563.7 KB)

Hi @flatform,

Ok, I see the problem. I am reporting this to find a solution.

Ok, so I understand that what you are requesting is a way to extend the boundary geometry by extrapolation so that the whole extended wall takes it as a reference. Anyway, I am not sure about if this could be the best workflow… I will think about it.

Yes, it is clear that you want to snap on level/elevation marks, but I am assuming you want to that to create objects at that elevation, that is why I was speaking about linking objects to levels. Snapping to elevation marks is an entry we already have in our list, so I will let you know when we have news about it.

1 Like

Thank you for the communication, best wishes to the development team.

Check this file (the same D_fillet_issues_2.3dm, from above) for the fillet point moving issue. It has both a well functioning filleted slab, and a malfunctioning one.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/uploads/short-url/o3mOvOh0LkwJ8tzDCvbasyFuKLP.3dm