UV mapping - the image looks foggy

Hello everybody. How to make UV mapping image more visible? It looks like blurred or foggy. It’s not easy to adjust windows to faces. It’s always like this.

Hi,
Is your front viewport set to wireframe or shaded view mode? I’ve seen this ghosted look when one is in wireframe mode using the uveditor. Perhaps try moving the uv editor off to the side similar to your perspective view.
RM

But the image in Perspective view is also semi visible.

No change. It looks the same in different view modes.

Hi @Abelyanhayk852
Sorry I thought you were refering to the object in the viewport not the image or mapping image in the uv editor. Yes it’s foggy looking I think that was by design so the models outlines would not get lost against the models edges when one moves stuff around in the uv editor
I agree there should be a setting to give the image in the editor more or less fog. Also I would like the snaps to work when we arrange in the editor.
Good catch,
RM

When you use _UVEditor you can change the texture transparency in the viewport using the slider at the top of the UV Editor dialog. Less transparency gives clearer texture in viewport.

1 Like

Thank you. You saved my eyes!

Hey there it was staring us in the face.
Thanks for your help
Could we get object snaps to work in the editor or is there another setting for that? The reason I ask is that for precise alignments and rotations it would be nice for snaps to work in there at least on a 2d level.
Perhaps for reasons it’s not doable?
RM

osnaps and smart track seem to work in uveditor here…

Hi @nathanletwory
I can’t get them to work. Only snap to points works and I need to turn on the control points for that to work. If I invoke the move or rotate commands no regular object snaps work I have to have turn on control points and snap to control points enabled for snapping to work in the uv editor.
Am I missing a setting?
RM

For snapping in UVEditor I turn on vertex and smart track. Meshes don’t have really other snapping than vertex, but with the use of smart track you should be able to get at least mid to work.

Hi @nathanletwory,
I didn’t realize that it’s a mesh in the uv editor since I didn’t mesh my object and my original is a nurbs object.
But what you say makes sense and yes snapping works using vertex.
Thanks for your quick help really appreciate it.
RM

This is a reason why UV editing in Rhino is not as straight forward: UV mapping data is on the (render) mesh of an object. So there is quite a bit of work Rhino needs to do between Breps/SubD and the UV mesh.

Hi,
Ok that makes sense, of course argh my brain cells.
I really appreciate McNeels awesome help, I hate to ask so many questions but you people give great support and it makes us better artists to find these things out. I’m trying to master texturing and unwrapping as that’s a weak area for me but I feel thanks to McNeel tech I’m getting closer.
RM

1 Like

If I am mapping a building, can I do the opposite? Can I click on building face, eg. door hole, window arch (like I do with ctrl+shift+click) in order to highlight the relevant mini face on mapping image? Because if I have many window holes, it’s really hard to guess which mini face is the relevant window. Blender or Unity allow to select face and see how it reflects on mapping image.

1 Like

Yes just working in the uvw editor and wishing the same thing.

Also this is a big wish please please turn off yellow highlighting. It’s really bad when trying to align a denser mesh like a subd object when you can’t even see the image underneath the yellow highlighting.
I’m exercising doing a more complex subd with wood grain that twists and it’s really hard to see anything due to the yellow mesh highlighting.
RM

You asked that question already and was answered UV mapping for mesh faces - #3 by Normand . In case it was unclear: no, not at the moment.

That said, the UV Editor is planned to get improvements for Rhino 8I Believe something like this is on the list for the dev of the tool somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks for help. I really thought Rhino could have better UV mapping options than Blender.