UV Mapping and Displacement, please, can someone tell me the correct way to work?

UV Test.zip (2.5 MB)
Please, can someone tell me the correct way to work?
Map the polysurface correctly and work with Displacement, using the model and image as an example.
I will be very grateful for your help.
Leandro

Hi Leandro - the mapping seems OK, but one thing to notice is that the image is quite low resolution at the level of a single repeat of the pattern

Which will show up as a sort of pixelation on the displacement-

it might be better to create a higher resolution image of just one cell - it can be a much smaller image overall I would guess, then set the pattern to repeat in Rhino.

Displacement test

But I suspect the real question is how to get the repeat and sizing correct, right?

-Pascal

1 Like

Pascal,
My question really is how to correctly allocate to map the model, attached.
My job always involves polysurfaces, and finding a way to open it up and find UV’s for each other has taken my sleep away.
If you can help me, showing which method to map correctly, it will be of great help.
On the image, just a mere example.
Thanks

Hello - does this file look about right to you?

TEST - A_maybe.3dm (923.9 KB)

-Pascal

YES !!! … Exactly as I imagined it needs to be.

Can you show me how you got this result?

I noticed that it made a support surface. but…

Hi Leandro - the key thing is that custom mapping surface - that is what is providing the even distribution of the texture - I’ll make a few images to show the process shortly.

-Pascal

Pascal.
Is there a way for you to provide training, based on some models that I can send you, that would serve as an example of mapping and applying texture?

Hi Leandro -

First, I’d make a material that uses the same texture as you want to use for displacement. This way, when you make changes you can see the mapping update fairly quickly and not need to wait for the displacement every time. I included a mapping material in the file above.

For a relatively non-standard, in the sense of the usual mapping types, object like this, I’d go straight to a custom mapping object. In this case an un-capped cylinder comes fairly close but has too much variation, so I created a simple curve of about the right shape:

And extruded it

Changed the degree in V to give me some more control points and then very loosely adjusted points to help the surface conform a bit better to the part:

Taking care that the shape keeps a constant height and even point distribution - not too wavy. The UV distribution of this surface will be projected onto your part, so it should be even and regular.

Now, apply the mapping material to your part - it will look wrong, of course:

On the mapping page of the object properties, set the mapping to use your custom object:

And then set the U and V repeats as needed:

Note if you need to modify the custom mapping object, then it needs to be reapplied to show the change in the mapping.

Once the material looks good, then you can apply the displacement, and assign the proper material and it should all look good. I set the white point on the displacement at .5 and the initial quality as Very High.

The custom mapping object can be hidden or even deleted - if you need it back again, use ExtractCustomMappingObject, edit it and reapply.

-Pascal

4 Likes

Pascal.
Good morning,
I want to thank you for taking the time to help solve a recurring problem I have, for not understanding the question of how to map different types of projects.
Based on this difficulty I have, I ask you again:
Is there a way for you to provide training, based on some models that I can send you, that would serve as an example of mapping and applying texture?
Thanks,
Leandro.

Hi Leandro - is what I outlined above useful or relevant? If so, you have my ‘training’ already - feel free to ask questions or provide different examples that do not work well, etc.

@BrianJ , do you have anything to add ?

-Pascal

@pascal Your solution is the right one in my opinion. @leandro.arquivos3d I’d suggest practicing this process of creating a custom mapping object to get the hang of it.