Unable to connect to Rhino Account - Rhino won't start

I’m unable to get Rhino 6 running on my home PC. I’ve tried repairing R6 SR12, uninstalling it, downloading SR14, installing it. Nothing works to get the License to my Rhino Account to work.

The Windows log shows the following exceptions when I try to connect to my Rhino Account:

  • Unable to bind to the underlying transport for [::]:1719. The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may not exist on this machine. The data field contains the error number.
  • Unable to bind to the underlying transport for [::]:1718. The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may not exist on this machine. The data field contains the error number.

It appears to just keep cycling between tcp ports 1717, 1718, and 1719. But is unable to connect to the Rhino License server. My Rhino Account login works here fine.

I also do NOT have the Windows Firewall enabled.

Running Windows v1809 (build 17763.503)

Any ideas?

My guess is a Windows reboot will sort the problem.

Any luck?

Still not working after a reboot.

image

image

I did have IPv6 enabled, but disabling it, did not help.

This all worked a month or so ago, I don’t normally run Rhino on my home PC, but I need to for testing purposes, our software releases next week.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. If you need any logs or other info please let me know.

Jake

Hi @jason_stevenson,

Here’s a possible workaround you might try. I don’t know if it will help as I don’t have the problem myself…

Right click the windows icon and open ‘Windows PowerShell (Admin)’.
At the PS prompt type (or paste)

netsh http show iplisten

and hit return. This will almost certainly return an empty list. If it should show a double colon

::

stop now and exit powershell, you already have the setting I am suggesting.

Otherwise at the PS prompt type

netsh http add iplisten ipaddress=::

and hit return. Then see if you can start Rhino successfully. If not then the workaround hasn’t helped and you should remove it by typing at the prompt

netsh http delete iplisten ipaddress=::

and hitting Return.
Finally exit from Powershell.

Let us know if this works.

Regards
Jeremy

n.b. The double colon is definitely an IPV6 pattern (meaning any IPV6 address).

Did you get a resolution to this problem as I have the same thing occuring

Thank you for the information, it did not however solve my problem. The :: entry was not there, I added it per your instructions. Rebooted. And it still failed to work.

@aj1

Can you have a look at this one please?

I did just solve the problem. However I’m not certain which change actually solved the issue, I suspect it was the Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter causing the problem.

I have 3 Network Interfaces, a TAP-Windows Adapter V9, a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and a Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter. All 3 interfaces were enabled, however the TAP interface showed Network Cable Unplugged so I don’t believe that was the issue.

Either way I disabled both the TAP and the Hyper-V Adapter and then tried launching Rhino. This time Rhino opened up my Web Browser as expected and allowed me to use my Rhino License.

Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter appears to be the culprit. I suspect somehow your code is looking for a specific network adapter, and is choosing the wrong device. Then fails to get access to the network.

I don’t see any way to Logout or Disconnect my license so I cannot give you a definite answer on which change fixed the issue.

Hi @jason_stevenson,

Sorry it didn’t help in your case, but glad to see you’ve subsequently found a solution.

FYI, the issue isn’t going to be the Hyper-V virtual Ethernet Adapter per se - I have one on each of my PCs and don’t have the problem - although it may of course be related to its configuration.

I think Rhino tries to connect to the Licence Server each time it is started, so you should be able to re-enable both adaptors and see Rhino fail again, then disable each one in turn to find out which solved the problem. (Though I quite understand if you prefer not to jeopardise your now-working setup by making changes…)

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

Nope. Re-enabling them, and it stays authenticated. But the disable definitely fixed the issue.