Toolbar docking

Hi there, just started using 8 and having toolbar docking problems.
I use very few toolbar icons, I only use Rhino as a translator programme really.
so I customize and have short toolbars.
I cant get the small toolbars to dock in the same line, it will go above or below but this is a waste of drawing area. I did this successfully in V6, it wasn’t easy, there was a trick to it but I did it.
doesnt matter what I do in V8 it just wont dock in the same line even tho the is miles of space.

Hi Mick - this should work - try dragging the toolbar way over near the far edge of the docking area - you should see a blue square - if you drag over that it should show you how the thing will dock.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

yip that worked, thanks.

Am trying getting going with 8 after stalling the first round and falling back to 7 for daily work. After struggling to set up my toolbars, finally found this post and solved the issue, but it took an inordinate amount of time - a new user may have had less difficulties because the clues for the behavior existed -

(the little blue squares) … but they seemingly arbitrarily changed from the more informative version in v7 :

… where the target region is implied.

What wasn’t obvious to this user was that the specific blue square had to be targeted rather than the corresponding edge. I guess it’s just one of those cases where it’s hard to tell if something is broken or just suddenly different in an obscure way.

1 Like

You’re not alone. I have problems with it, too. Especially when I make a mistake clicking or dragging from an inopportune spot, with some elements of the UI being super sensitive to mouse movements and others just not, it’s impossible to undo without putting the mouse in a totally different place to repair it. It just doesn’t make sense. Drives me insane. R7 was intuitive in the way you’re describing, like most software since like the mid 2000s.

I hope and wish there were a different way than R8’s choice. Gotta be somehow.

1 Like