Title Blocks

Is there a set of templates (or library) of drawing title blocks that I can download that would provide starting points for the various drawing sizes? e.g. ANSI, DIN, ABCDE, A4 etc. I’ll modify them to be specific to our organization but I was hoping to save some time with borders, labels, etc.
Steve

2 Likes

This might not be helpful, but I found making my own set of premade Title Blocks simple and quicker, my guess is you will find auto cad title block templates on the internet which you could modify for Rhino

Hi @SteveP ,
This has been requested before. I will add another couple votes from you and @milezee
I have logged it as bug tracker item RH-48071.

Users that also have AutoCAD, BriscCAD or other CAD clones will use the same sample title blocks that install with other programs by simply inserting the DWG as a block on to the Rhino layout.

If you have any sample title blocks that you would like to see included in Rhino, please attach them to this message. We see a lot of title blocks on our customers’ Rhino drawings, but we do not have the right to share them. So if you have some that we can share and modify to different sizes, this would help us a lot.

Thanks for letting us know.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

1 Like

Thanks.

I have a related question. In Lesson 12 you used text fields to modify the tokens built into the title block template. Is there a way to create new text fields that are embedded with a model? That way if I have a title block template (let’s say ANSI-B) that I insert as a block, I can embed a token which would then could be populated when I create a layout from a new model. For example: if I added the text field CompanyName to NewPart, then a layout of NewPart that has ANSI-B inserted as the title block could have a name token replaced by CompanyName using fx. Basically I want to add fields to a part much like PageName so that I can see them in fx.

I know I can manually change the token to CompanyName but if I have a library of parts and my workflow has adding the custom field to each model, then creating a variety of layouts with custom title blocks is simplified.

I hope this makes some sense.

Steve

Hi @SteveP,

Rhino has text fields that can be added to the text object. These can be included as part of the block that contains the title block geometry and insert for every layout.

One of the fields is Document User text that can be configured in Options. You can make fields like project, client, address …etc. The layout specific field (PageName, PageNumber) will update for each layout, while NumPages is the total number of layouts.

Document fields like Project, Client, Address, can be updated on the User text page in Options under Document properties. When these are updated, all the title blocks in the model will change. This is a good way to handle project specific details, that will be updated for each project in one place and one time.

You also have other common fields like Date, Time, File name that are also helpful to include in the title block.

See the attached example. PageName is the name of the Layout tab. It can be customized to the contents of the sheet. There is also PageNumber fx that is the number of the layout

Hope this help.
Let me know if you have any questions…
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support
title block example.3dm (78.5 KB)

6 Likes

Hi Mary,

Add one vote from me too.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Ivelin,
If you have any nice title blocks than we can add it to our title block library, send them to mary@mcneel.com.
I can modify them to support additional sheet sizes.

Thanks for your vote!
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

I’ll look for title blocks in my personal database.

Mary,

Do you have a tutorial that shows better how to use the User text in title blocks?
2 Likes

Hi @jodyc111,

Check if this thread helps.
Text Fields Self-Referencing User Attribute Text?

Hi Jodyc111,
It is on my radar now.
I will make you a video tutorial by the end of the week.
Thanks for requesting it.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Thank Mary! You are the best!

Hi Jodyc111,
Rolling into the final hour of the week today and I knocked out a quick video (no audio) that shows how to create a title block that uses fields and Document User Text.

You can use the files that I already posted to follow along.
I could have opened the DocumentText panel, but I accessed the Document text controls from Options.
You can give both a try and let me any questions.

Hope it helps to clarify the relationship before the title block and the Document User fields.

Kind regards,
Mary Ann Fugier
Seattle, WA

2 Likes

Thanks Mary!

1 Like

Hi @mary

How did you edit the block within the same open file in your video? I seem to have to open the block in another copy of Rhino.
thanks
Giles

Hi Giles,
When you have an internal block in Rhino, you can edit it by double-clicking or by calling the BlockEdit command, specifically.

If there is a nested block, you will see the nested block under the main block, all you need to do it pick on it in the BlockEdit dialog, and the contents will highlight in the model. You are now editing the nested block in the model.

If the block is a “linked” block, so that it updated with an external file, then an additional window of Rhino is launched and the files is open for edits.
Do you possibly have a linked block and not an embedded block?
See video here.

Feel free to send a file and procedure if this is not working for you.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
Seattle, WA

@gileshg

thanks @mary, I expect I have a linked block and that’s why. Thanks for the video! I hadn’t really understood the potential of blocks as you’ve used them on the doors and handles. nice.

best

Giles

Hi Mary, Thanks so much for your documentation.
Where can I find the Layout Panel that shows up in your video around minute 4?

I have found the blickfield7 Layout Manager but it looks different than yours.
I am running Version 6 SR23.

Kevin

Hi Kevin -

The Layout Manager is a new feature that is included in Rhino 7. An experimental version of that panel that can run in Rhino 6 can be found from this post:

-wim