Thea for Rhino plugin?

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the Thea for Rhino plugin?

What do you think of it in its current state?

I’m considering it; I’m also considering Cycles (Blender) and Modo.
I believe that these last two require exporting to the rendering app which can be
less than convenient if changes are made.
On their plus side, Blender and Mode offer animation.

Thanks

Hello,

Disclosure first, I am on the beta testing team for the product. I happen to think TR is one of the best rendering solutions currently available, so it is really nice to see them fully committing to an integrated Rhino plugin. Personally I find the interactive render useful when changing geometry since the render will automatically update when the changes are made. I do know this dynamic update will also work with plugins like TSplines which also may be useful to you. Not having to bring the models out of Rhino greatly decreases the amount of time eaten up by having to tweak geometry and export. I have not personally tested but I do understand that T4R is also compatible with Bongo so you have animation support. Hope this helps.

Hello Again.

What`s happening with this???
Here we are again. I found that objects when far from origin coordinates (0,0,0) Thea Render Plugin for Rhino is missing correct textures. The result is small gaps on cylindrical surfaces or small objects.
First i thought that this was a Rhino issue, but not. It is a Thea issue. Or both?!?!?

How to solve this???

Architex -

Since you are moving the scene and seeing a change, I would first try removing all four of your environment maps then render with the AO setting on and see if the problem persists. If this changes the situation, try a new HDR map or else a very simple gradient map and check your results. Next, if you are using the sun or skylight settings, try turning them off as well and lighting the scene with a rectangular light and point light (if needed). If you are still having issues, try Thea technical support - rhino@thearender.com. They have been very prompt when asked for help.

Hello.
Thanks for your reply… Yes i have try all of that methods. The only nice result is in fact moving objects to Rhino origin (0,0,0). And yes i have report this issue in Thea Render Forum. Till now, no one answer… I hope some one have an idea.

I have post this trouble in other threat:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/thea-render-v1-5-for-rhino-first-issues/25687/18?u=architex&source_topic_id=28497

Antonio,
You will get a much faster response from Thea if you send an email to rhino@thearender.com rather than use their forum.
Scott

Ok… i will send some mail to that address.
Lets see if they give me some help.
Thankss

Hi @Architex

I’m by no means an expert on this, and I’ve never used Thea, so don’t quote me on this, but… From what I understand, the issues you’re seeing is probably from the way floating point calculations are done. If I recall correctly, FP only has a finite number of digits to work with. If your dimensions are HUGE (eg. doing city planning i mm or working with real-world coordinates) FP simply runs out of digits and thus runs out of precision. The render meshes become weird and display in a less than desirable way. As states elsewhere: change units or move closer to WC0. Some more into the details than me can probably give you a better explanation.
HTH, Jakob

thanks for help any way.

Yeah that would be it. Where exactly who knows, I think it’s not unusual for the displayed meshes to only be single-precision, I believe that is/was the issue with Rhino’s OpenGL display modes, but the source could be elsewhere. What is it they say, double-precision math can represent the whole solar system down to molecular precision? But there are many layers of calculations going on, not all of which may be equally precise.

Renderers can generally be sensitive to the units and dimensions of the model for quality and speed.

Hello.
some one inside THEA FORUM report to me how to solve this. They say this:

Open new file and choose “large tamplate model” in "meters"
Tolerance 0.1.

They argue that it solve my problem. Then i come try and nothing happens. The only method i found is, when finishing all parts, move the project file near as possible to (0,0,0) rhino coordinates. With this, Thea Works perfectly… Just one more thing. I have tested new Thea Render Update for Rhino and that issue simply disappear. The problem after was, that update was shity UNSTABLE. Impossible to work. Render wont start and always crash my system. So i came back to a previous and stable one.

Thanks for all help. I will keep working to see the final result as fast as possible.

Hi guys,

Here is an issue for my Thea rhino, V1.5.05.282.1428, RHINO5 SR13.
every time when I tried to open Material Lab, rh5 got stucked and no responding.
I have to force shut it down.
Any idea why is that?

Thank you so much!
Lei

But is the Material Lab window opening? If so, while it’s open, that’s called modal window, you cannot change anything in Rhino.

When you click this button though:

You get most of the material lab directly in the tab. Then things are not modal:

Also, I would update, because the latest release fixes a bug. So, in your version synchronization between that modal material lab, the first one, and the second one was broken!

Hi Lei,

You are using an older version of Thea For Rhino. Please update to the latest stable version which includes many bug fixes and new features.

As Marcus mentions, you can’t use Rhino until you finish editing your material in the Thea Material Lab.

Christos