Texture wrapping a box

I’ve seen a couple of similar topics but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to apply a 6 side unwrapped texture to a box.
I remember doing that in the past and it was really simple: I chose box mapping with divided space option and the texture was applied correctly.
I’ve tried to use the UV editor but I still don’t get it.
Is there a tutorial or some instructions how to do that ?

Hello - use Unwrap and select the seams that you want to open up, and then use the UV Editor.

Any luck?

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal, I’ve tried that before but in the UV editor, when prompted to draw a rectangle the aspect ratio doesn’t lock to the one of the texture so I have to rotate and then scale in each direction the UV’s to match the texture, is this normal ? It is hard to be precise because I can’t snap to the texture itself obviously … Eventually I get it but I’m not sure I’m doing it correctly. Also, if I try to delete the UV mesh that the UV editor creates, I can’t, I get a message: "Unsupported mesh operation blah bla " How the heck I delete the flat mesh once I’m done mapping ?

Nevermind the second question … the mesh disappears when I hit ‘Apply’

Hi Juan - if I choose the seams like so:

then the UV ediutor sees the mesh like so:

That is what you expect, right?

The rectangle is constrained, here, when I draw it.

-Pascal

That’s what I do but the rectangle is NOT
constrained. I don’t see that yours is either, the base and
top for example are rectangular on the box but almost square in
the UV map …

I would expect the flatten mesh to be the same than the unwraped

box if I was to unfold it.

Sorry I don't think I understand the process ...

Ah, OK, I thought you were referring to the base texture rectangle that the mesh is sitting on. That is constrained to being square and the texture is square.

-Pascal

Gotcha, so I’m the one that needs to draw a square (constraining the window with Ctl) regardless of whether the texture is square or rectangular and then the created mesh matches the proportions of the map inside the square. I understand now !!
However, I just noticed that choosing “Use material” only displays everything gray, not the actual texture …