Text characters disappear when printing to Pdf?

I noticed that some characters disappear from the text when printing to Rhino PDF.
(Rhino7.18, Windows 10)
Is this a known issue? Is there any way ( via RhinoCommon?) to check if some of my showing characters will not print?

see Image:

I prefer to use the Rhino built-in pdf printer since it can be nicely scripted.
try it:

⌀ U8960 DIAMETER SIGN
∅ U8709 EMPTY SET
Ø U216 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE
ⵁ U11585 TIFINAGH LETTER BERBER ACADEMY YAH

Hi Goswin … hm, I do not know, I’ll have to test - can you tell if this works as expected using a different pdf driver?

-Pascal

The three glyphs that don’t appear don’t exist in the version of Calibri shipped with Windows so cannot be rendered in that font.

If you try to insert them into Word, it substitutes the fonts Cambria Math or Ebrima in order to render them.

Looks like maybe Rhino makes a font substitution but Rhino PDF doesn’t…

1 Like

thanks for the hint @jeremy5 it seems to be indeed a problem of character substitution. I didn’t know that some text renders are doing this. I would still argue that Rhino should not show text correctly and then print it wrong!

As a workaround this tool is useful for manually finding a suitable font Character Identifier tool – Keyman Blog

That seems reasonable…
I will get this on the pile for the developers, thanks.
RH-68835 Print: some special characters display but do not print

-Pascal

1 Like