Subdivide does not count in curvature

Seems like the Subdivide command is only subdividing each face in the area of the face/polygon, so the results are flat, is there a way to subdivide but keep the overall curvature. Thank you

Ok found the solution - make a SubD, and from that use Mesh command and l the slider for the resolution that will suit you.

Hi @hannesgrebin
Here’s a small GrasshopperPlayer thing that uses the Catmull-Clark component from WeaverBird. It lets you set the subdivision level and if edges should stay fixed or smoothed or fixed corners only. Run GrasshopperPlayer in Rhino, select the file and follow the prompts :slight_smile:
_GHP_SubDivide Mesh Cattmull-Clark.gh (6.1 KB)
HTH, Jakob

1 Like

Thank you @Normand will try it out

@Normand I just did the Subdivide in Modo, I think I will get to Grasshopper one day. Do not understand how to work with the nodes. :slight_smile:

Hi @hannesgrebin
That’s actually the whole idea behind the GrasshopperPlayer command, not having to bother with Grasshopper, that is. It lets Grasshopper definitions run like ordinary Rhino commands, prompting input from the user. So run GrasshopperPlayer, select the definition and follow the prompt (select the mesh(es) to subdivide, set subdivision level and the select what to do with the edges - it’s all command line driven, so no need to open the file in Grasshopper.
HTH, Jakob

1 Like

@Normand I see, in my case it will work but destroys the texture. But I find the approach very interesting. Can I use any definition and it will work this way?
Is there a ressource to browse interesting definitions to test in my designs?

Thank you

Btw here is the result, hope you understand

no, a gh definition has to be prepared to work with gh player

@Gijs is there a collection or Ressource where I can find many different types?

Thank you