SubD Spiral detail?

So I’ve done a bunch of Kyle’s SubD tutorials and they all came out great. Applying the methods to my own projects is more difficult. e.g. I asked about modeling this spiral architectural detail recently in this thread. Thoughts on modeling this spiraling architectural piece? - #4 by DiegoKrause RTK responded that it could be done in 20 minutes in SubD. I figured I’d try it but got no where.

I’m at it again and barely get to the basic shape before I see oddities. (see pic) As Kyle says, you can see the bad bits in box mode, and it usually easy to see where control points overlap or such problems. Can’t see what’s wrong here. Also there need to be crease in those corners. Adding on really messes thing up more. And this is before I attempt the actual spiral part.

ex_scroll_rh.3dm (352.7 KB)

the angle of that quad is folded back on itself…so you are seeing a render mesh triangle showing outside the part.

remember rule of 3, if you need tight corners, you need 3 points or edges close together. (or crease, but I’m not a fan of creases unless its a specific situation)

do you have an image of what you are trying to make?

For such an object I would build my topology like this:

topology.3dm (60.5 KB)

Doh! Obviously I’m not retaining all your lessons.
I thought the image was was included in the file I posted.

I always start with too many faces, so thought I’d try fewer this time as that seems to be the accepted good practice. Hard to know how to calculate that.

I’d layout exactly as it looks, let it overlap as it travels in the z (assuming we are looking at it from top view) and then extrude edges straight down, convert to nurbs and trim to clean it up at the end. (keep a subd copy for future iteration)

try this as a quick reference. Bevel edges instead of creasing to have sharp edges that aren’t razor sharp.

or, convert creased model to nurbs and fillet later.

scroll.3dm (125.3 KB)

Thanks. Will start again and see if I can replicate what you have done.

happy to help if you get stuck along the way-

This is making me feel like a moron. Even with your model, I’m really not getting it. Did you start with curves, or a SubD plane formed to the outline?

I started with a curve, rebuilt to subd friendly, then did a one rail subd sweep with a straight line, (also subd friendly)

that made a ribbon.

I then simply point edited it to get the shape I wanted.

Here’s another approach for a quad only SubD.

The edges form a continuous strip.

subd_spiral_s.3dm (184.9 KB)

1 Like

After so many attempts using different methods, this is where I’ve gotten in SubD.

I re-created the original curve. (this has to fit specific dimensions)

I did the SubD Sweep 1 for the top surface. This gives me a cluster as all faces are on the same plane.

I changed some face colors so I could figure out which I was working on as I pointed edited to fit the curve.

I then adjusted heights of areas and extruded the whole surface down. This is the closest I’ve gotten to the actual piece.

However, I’m stuck as I don’t know how to trim the extraneous faces below the top spiral surface.

SCROLL_2.3dm (143.0 KB)

convert to nurbs, then split by isoparm to get sections that you can trim, then join it all back up.

It wasn’t originally a well-designed topology. It is possible to cut without transfer to NURBS.
In the figure Martin Siegrist correct topology.

There should be no folds.

no, trimming will convert to nurbs.

any reason you wouldn’t convert to nurbs? just keep a copy of the subd for iteration purposes.

You can see that it’s not NURBS.

You can do everything without going to NURBS, and without trimming.

1 Like

Insert edge
Delete
Insert point
Delete
Stitch

CalypsoArt, you deleted your question.

Thanks. However, I’m not getting the same results as you. Did you work from the file as I uploaded it, or did you fix stuff?

Bridge

You need to study the subject - SubD topology, and you will succeed.

1 Like