Sub D challenge 3!

Give it a go, and let us know what you like and where the pain points are-

There has been some awesome feedback from the first two challenges, thanks for helping shape these amazing tools!

2 Likes

Hello Kyle, *
“Challenge Accepted”

• SudD second degree surface for industrial design.
  • Missing a specific SubD TAB on the top menu?
  • SubD primitives right-click to create faster one at the center with symmetry apply.
  • Ray-tracing mirror plane?
  • If Shift + Tab is possible then show hide points
  • Bug: if you have an open face and you select one of the points of it; if you press add crease works, but create bad render mesh triangles close to the crease point.
  • Using the Gumball, scaling a selected face does not update in realtime.
  • More realtime update in general (For example when moving faces using the gumball)
  • I was not capable to use _SlideEdge. Message: Unknown command: _SlideEdge
  • I was able to create a trim but was expecting a sort of SubD as result.
  • Consider including into SubD tab the"-_InsertEdge _Type=_Loop" edge loop button
  • Capacity of point selection when environment mapping _EMap is on
  • Consider adding weight to the points. So there is a smoother transition between the two states.

• After extracted the render mesh the UV mapping of the UVEditor is not draw (Layer2)
  • Since the extracted render mesh is dense, is not possible to look through it. Consider drawing the wireframe 0.5 of a pixel. Or experiment with less than 1px.

A NEW ANIMAL

2 Likes

Now this took me about 3 minutes. Searched for a free downloadable 3D skull, imported the mesh and applied _Quadremesh.
Or is this cheating? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Anyway, it shows the power of Quadremesh. Maybe I will try to model a skull myself, but not this week.!

12 Likes

definitely cheating, but cool workflow nonetheless!

2 Likes

see below-

Hi @theoutside
Quick vid of a (very) stylized skull. My main problem was the reflect command. Sometimes it’s leaving weird gaps or deleting faces or adding creases. I’ll see if I can make something repeatable for you to look at! I also had a couple of teeth the refused to have their gumball reset - but again, not repeatable in this case.
-Jakob

7 Likes

Awesome!! thanks for the video! I love how you started from a sphere and then subdivided to get extra faces. Quick, easy, and effective.

Logically this works well, I’d encourage you to try and only add faces when absolutely necessary, since that make global and smoother transforms easier to keep track of. Adding faces that don;t get used is just complication and opportunity for inflection in your forms. I try to remove stuff constantly until the model falls apart and then add that last face or edge back in. That way the model stays as light as possible and very easy to manage.

BUT…this is well done and a great example of the many many way to get to an solution based on personal preference.

Now, start playing with named selections and use them for poses, expressions, etc…

I was having so much fan using it.
The tool is Super Awesome.

I toolbarreset but I loose my custom toolbars
Since vertion 1 have loos more than 1000 modifications made in the tab.
I usually finish coping and past form Rhino 6 one by one more time for each element of each button.

SOLUTION
Copy and past buttons inside Button Editor

As a work around suggest implementing copy and past inside the Button Editor
So I can copy all that is inside the Button Editor and past it inside other Button Editor

And drawing two triangles to simulate a line instead of native Graphics.DrawLine?
There are some chances that drawing a line is slower than two triangles.

Hello,
I can’t hotkey “Shift +Tab”
It is so hard coded that you can’t exclude it when SHIFT is press?

For example
Flip the camera (xyz-1) every 32 fps and create a 2k texture and use it in a render texture shader material for making real-time reflection on a simple small plane. Or by using RTX or Dx12 raytracing reflection.
So that the designer can place the mirror where he want to inspect the model or make symmetry. We make half of the car and the other half is reflected whale we are working in every display mode. This allowed us to inspect curves or complex model. Now we do that manually using Record history or via Grasshopper but is complex.

Save your toolbars in a custom RUI file, not in default.rui.

1 Like

I created a dedicated thread: How to preserve custom buttons after a "toolbar reset" is applied?

Can you answer that there?

No, I’m running out of time
I will try to make a new tread:

But some similar thread: SubD to Nurbs G0 continuity problem

I’m asking to make a new SubD using G0 or second degree using point weight 0.73

I make an object as an example

are you aiming towards a developable surface by wanting to use degree 2?

1 Like

Exaclly,

Aiming towards a developable surface by using SubD use degree 2.
Actually I use degree 2 in my surface. but it is very difficult in the modification process. SubD workflow is better and I have been wondering this since the first time I saw 3DStudio 90s?
Some transportation design example by using second degree polysurface (in one direction) in Rhino 3D.

2 Likes

sub d will not be ever be degree 2… degree 3 at least to the best of my knowledge, as as such unless it’s dead straight extruded, will not be developable.

I try to push Rhino developers in this direction as much as I can.
Towards degree manipulation.
There is a specific thread for this talk:

Hello
For me, the most difficult thing is still knowing how to handle ““Symmetry”” well
I haven’t fully understood it yet.
(For example:‘whit or whitout RecordHistory’?)
(

fast).

Good tool but one must be master !.
Greetings

1 Like

Try the reflect command instead of symmetry- it has history and allows you to work both sides of the model simultaneously- don;t be afraid to kill reflect as needed and then re-invoke it later as it suits your needs.