Rounding Edges on SubD form

Hi folks,

I’ve created a moderately complex shape in SubD that I need to define the corners and edges on all the way around. I’ve tried both inserting bevels and SubD edge loops. Both give me incomplete results. I cannot seem to select complete edge loops and when I try to piece them together, I get some pretty bizarre results. Beveling the edges seems to have similar problems in terms of whether or not all the edges will take the bevels.

The attached file is what I’ve been working with. Its almost as if it has some bad edges. If this is the case, I’m not sure how to identify them or fix them. I’d appreciate some guidance from anyone with experience in this area.

Thanks,
Michael D.

Accord Arm_5_28_2021.3dm (68.5 KB)

Hi Michael - I am not sure what you need - the thing looks all smooth to me - did you want more definition - like more surface> fillet > surface, sort of thing?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Below are two forms I’ve created, using SubD Bevel in combination with SubD Edge Loop, shown in both SubD modes. Combining the SubD Bevel and the SubD edge loop allows me to tighten up the final curvature around the corners and edges. They seem to work fine with relatively simple forms. When the form becomes more complex like the one I submitted I run into edges that one bevel or offset the edge loop consistently and thus can’t achieve the same finished form effect. I suspect I’m creating edges that are prone to problems…

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks,

mD

image001.png

image002.png

image003.png

image004.png

@BrianJ @theoutside - can you SubD Mavens assist?

-Pascal

can you upload your files?

Hi Kyle,

I attached the problem file to the first submission. Did you want the other two files or just the one I originally submitted? Can I attach it/them to an email or do I need to go back to the forum page?

Best,

mD

Hi Kyle,

I’ve reattached the original and follow-up files here. Is this what you were looking for?

Best,

mD

Accord Arm_5_28_2021.3dm (68.5 KB)

Accord Arm 2_5_28_2021.3dm (229 KB)

Hi @Michael_Deimen the thing I’d remove is the Ngons before using Bevel… the attached video may help.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out yesterday for the extended weekend. Thanks for sending this along. I hadn’t realized I even had any Ngons because when I tabbed between visualization modes I kept seeing the rectangles, not realizing when one adjacent rectangle is shorter than another it creates a split in the edge of the longer one. I’ll give your suggestions a try and let you know if I’m still having trouble.

Thanks again,

Michael Deimen

Hi again Brian,

Below is a variation I’ve been trying that is still giving me trouble. I don’t appear to have any Ngons before I start, but depending on the order I bevel the edges in, when I finish I’ve definitely got some, and frequently, the bevels either change size from one end to the other, or appear to twist. I know this is tied to the edges that necessarily end up being created in the middle of larger surfaces. I’m just not sure how to plan ahead for them.

I’m eager to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Michael Deimen

image001.png

image003.png

image005.png

image006.png

image007.png

image008.png

try this-
Accord Arm_5_28_2021 kfix.3dm (191.2 KB)

remember rule of three… 3 edges to make a corner.

Hi Kyle,

Please refresh my memory on the “the rule of three”. I understand that 3 edges make a corner, but I’m not quite sure I understand what you’re saying here.

Thanks for the help,

Michael Deimen

check out the faucet video- I go into that around 12:10

Hi Kyle,

I’ll give it a look. Looking at your notes in red below, I’m pretty sure I understand what you were getting at. This whole exercise on my part started with me trying to do just that by dropping additional SubD edges in to accomplish this very thing, but they don’t always seem to want to behave the way they’re supposed to. Sometimes when I try to add them they seem to suddenly go diagonal, back to a corner and this renders the entire exercise unworkable. I’ll try and recreate the problem and send it to you.

Best,

Michael Deimen

use insert point to draw an edge when insert edges does not do what you expect, or grab a ring of edges then insert perpendicular into them as opposed to grabbing an edge loop and trying to drag parallel to them.

Hi Kyle,

Below are a few examples of what I’m talking about. The notes in red describe situations that create strange anomalies in the intended final surface. The placement of these curves seems to depend on which edges I pick first and how far I try to offset them.

Best,

mD

image001.png

image002.png

the edges don’t complete a loop through that corner-

so select a few edges then SelEdgeRing. this will select a ring of parallel edges.

you’ll then insert an edge that will go in perpendicular to them allowing you to insert a complete edge loop.

Hi Kyle,

I’ll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

mD