Stripping Rhino to basics to educated children

I am developing a project where I want to introduce the delights of 3D modeling to people who would not normally have any contact with the technology. I have come to realize that the interface can be quite intimidating even to those who have a good few years of experience of computers, let alone those who are coming to 3D modeling for the first time ie children and pensioners.

Is it possible to develop a stripped down version of Rhino where it has around 20 tools in total which would act as a intermediary up to the full version. I have developed some projects where only basic tools are required. I think I am looking at something much less powerful than Rhino 1 (not that I ever saw Rhino 1)

1 Like

You can completely customize the layout of buttons and menus using the Toolbar Layout Manager. Also, if you want to go down that path, you can use a “Skin”.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/developer/rhinocommon/skin

Just a thought; Moment of Inspiration (MOI) is the perfect stepping stone to Rhino. It was one of the first CAD applications I started with and it eased me into Rhino. I’ve recommended several people to start with MOI to learn the basics and then move on to Rhino when they need more power and features. It has the same very basic functions, a super simple interface and using the Rhino file format.

1 Like

I have just completed a project with a group of 11 and 12 year olds and I use Moment of Inspiration (MOI) because it was their first introduction to 3D modelling. It has focused set of tools with a clear interface and guides the user nicely through the commands.

If the group were older and with some background in 3D then I would probably use the Toolbar Layout Manager in Rhino to create a layout that supported the lessons/workflows being taught.

1 Like

Which 20 tools would you pick?

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the suggestion of MOI, I checked it out but its not quite what I am looking for.

Good question. The project is constructing geometric polygons, primary shapes like the Tetrahedron through to the C60 using understandable tools like - Rotate, Snap points, Copy and Mirror, that make piratical sense as if the student was in a physical workshop. I haven’t compiled a list yet but I will post it here when I do.

Thanks for the suggestion of MOI, I checked it out but its not quite what I am looking for.

Why not?

There are several reasons why I am not too interested in Moi, the main being that I have found it incredibly painful to learn a piece of software I would not use again. When I started to learn Rhino around 10 years ago I would make offerings to the 3D gods in the hope that I chose the right 3D software, as the commitment to learn any 3D software is a really big commitment. I had two failed relationships before I found Rhino, spanning 5 years.

If I amend the interface the student will be able to use these skills again whether they have a full blown mirage or just a short fling. Rhino seems to be the universal 3D software.
All of the lessons have been designed in Rhino and I don’t want to learn more than I have to.
Most importantly, I think Rhino is fantastic for all levels of understanding.
You asked

1 Like