Some noob questions

I am starting to give Visualarq a try and have a couple of questions.

Using VAroof:

• picking a curve, do I always need to create a curve by hand? Is there a possibilty to use the outline of the walls for example? If I change the position of the wall (or rotate the wall) the outline of the roof automatically changes

VA Wall:
is it possible to orient the hatch by object, I have attached some examples to clarify. (at the left of the image for the rotated hatches for insulation and at the right the orientation of the hatches for non-loadbearing walls).

Windows and doors:
Is it possible to use custom profiles for the sill, frame etc, and a finish for the jamb? We typically use sills with a sloping top.
I would like the possibilty to exclude the sill of the frame. In case of a stone sill of a hung window it is possible to have no sill in the frame.

The image also shows the kind of dimension style I use in Autocad, no extension lines crossing the plans or other drawing, the style in Rhino features a tick but no small line perpandicular to the dimension line. That would be a nice feature.

There are some icons missing/misplaced in the options panel for the windows styles:

This is not possible now, but I take this suggestion for future VisualARQ versions. In VisualARQ 2.0 it won’t be necessary to draw a curve beforehand to create a roof. The way to insert it will be similar as the Slab object.

Yes it is. You can assign the section attributes by object, in the properties panel. But this will only work if the wall style and its layers have the section attributes defined “by Parent”.

Right now it is not possible to use a custom profile for the Sill or the Frame component. We will consider adding these parameters in future VisualARQ versions. Meanwhile you can create these openings by using styles from blocks.(http://www.visualarq.com/support/tips/341/)
In VisualARQ 2.0 since it will be possible to create objects from Grasshopper definitions, you will be able to create custom parametric windows with all these features for sills you are asking for. This sneak preview video shows this new feature: https://youtu.be/zMVkngblezA
I take note of your request of that dimension styles also. Although this is something that could be aimed at McNeel developers too.
Best,

So if I want to orient the hatches, I need to do it manually?

I’m looking forward to use grasshopper for making custom parametric windows and doors. Any date for VA 2.0? Is there a beta?

Only if you want to orient hatches differently in two walls that are the same style.

There is no date yet for the VisualARQ 2.0 Beta. We will give news as soon as we can.

Hello Francesc,
well, news for me with orient hatches in walls. Maybe there is one think, on which you can focus. Now you can change the orientation of hatch, but only for the entire wall. When I have wall composed of 5 layers and want to change one of them, dont know if this is possible right now. Maybe something like “By Parent” choice in hatch angle in wall style dialog should solve this??

Petr

Exactly. If you want to assign different hatches to each one of the wall layers, then there is no other way than doing it from the styles dialog. If there is just one layer that has a hatch that needs to be rotated by object individually, then you can leave the hatch rotation of that layer defined “by parent”, and assign the pattern rotation to the wall object in the model, from the section attributes icon.

Is there a way to create stairs with closed stringers instead of sawtooth stringers, by using the stair tool?
We mostly design stairs with closed stringers.

Hi, it is not possible right now to create stairs with stringers. You can only create stairs with or without a solid slab. However I take note of this request for future versions.
Best,

How can I show 2D symbols of furniture, toilets, kitchen equipment, closets etc in a plan or section view. It is visible in your Casa das Canoas example. or are those drafted directly on the plan?

Hi @ME_Mark. In that example the 2D symbols and furniture are drafted directly on the plan. But in the next VisualARQ 2.0 there will be “Furniture” object, that will work in a similar way as the VisualARQ openings or columns, which have the option to assign a 3D block for the 3D representation and a 2D block for the representation in plan views. See a sneak preview screenshot:

is it possible to automatically project the contours of beams/roofs/void in the floor/balcony and control the line style? Pretty common stuff in architectural plans.

It is not, unfortunately. This is something we plan to add in future versions.
Only beam objects have a similar feature. You can show their axis projected in the current floor when they are located above the cut Plane of the current level. Make sure the beam “Plan Visibility” (in the Object Properties dialog > Display) is set to “Inside Level” or “Above Cut Plane”.
You can control the line style at the beam styles > Attributes > Section Linetype.

Mark, I’ve realised that you can already create a dimension style in Rhino similar than the one you request:

but if you drag the dimension further away from the measuring-points you still get the extension lines. These will cross the drawing.

Mark, what if you move the control points of the extension lines up to find the dimension line? (the only problem will be that you will need to select two points when you need to extend the dimension line, but you can always do a crossing selection.

Will it be possible to specify IFC properties like firerating, acoustic rating, loadbearing, non-loadbearing etc. to VA-styles? And it would come handy to be able to show for example the firerating of Walls, doors and windows in the tag.

Being able to spcify IFC properties like that & being able to get a representation of them in tags/tables etc. would be very useful.

+1 to anything that allows us to speed up documentation (including more tagable data)

Could migrate more of my projects from Revit if that was the case…

2 Likes

@ME_Mark, @FORARK, @Prehabitat The next VisualARQ 2.0 version will include the option to create custom parameters for VisualARQ (and Rhino objects) and list this information in tables. Once this is done we will work on the option to show these parameters inside tags (with the VisualARQ Tag command.) The next step will be to include these parameters also within IFC files.

Cheers,

1 Like

I’m trying to create a localized template for use in the Netherlands.
I have created a list of layers, and I would like to know if it’s OK to leave the parent layers as default and use my created layers for the definitions of the layers for the different components of style.

created wall style:

• Parent Layer: Walls (controls visibility)
  1. walls-finish component: Layer name: 41 buitenwandafwerkingen

2. walls-structure component: Layer name: 28.2 hoofddraagconstructie - wanden en vloeren (meaning: load-bearing walls and floors)

3. walls-thermal components: Layer name: 41.04 spouwisolatie
    etc.

Would this work or am I gonna run into problems?

1 Like