Snap to surface isocurves

Hello,

I often want to snap to the intersection of U and V isocurves on a surface. The Intersect Osnap doesn’t work in this case.

Is there a way to do this that I haven’t discovered?

I normally ‘ExtractIsocurves’ then snap to the intersect of those…but would be great to be able to just snap on the isos directly!

Thanks

I’m with you.
This simple addition would improve a lot Yue new users experience.
Everything visible should work.

How would you like to tell Rhino which isocurves to use, given they could be at any u or v position, not just convenient ones like the halfway points, say?

1 Like

I think for a start, I’d like to be able to snap to the intersection of visible isocurves - like the intersection of the two yellow ones shown in my image. For example, if I want to draw a line tangent to one of them, then the tangent osnap should recognize the isos.

2 Likes

+1 to this. A “Visible Iso” snap would be really neat

Hello- along surface edges, the Knot Osnap can help if the isocurve dernsity is 1. The middle iso on a single span surface is not a knot so that one fails too.

-Pascal

1 Like

For now, that particular one can be done by centre snap.

Hi @pascal yes that’s helpful too.

I gave a bad example! Nornally it’s not the centre I’m looking for…

No, I understand. It’s not a bad example, just a simple one. A simple example starts a dialogue which can explore more complex criteria. That’s usually a better vehicle for requirements elicitation than starting from an example that is so complex that the complexity hides gaping holes in what’s needed.

Anyway, I just thought the centre thing was worth mentioning for people who did want to snap to the visible intersection within a quadrilateral.

Regards
Jeremy

Yes, that’s a good point. In any case here’s a slightly less simplistic example…

3.3dm (134.7 KB)

For now a dumb macro might be of some use

#_ExtractIsocurve _Pause _Direction _Both _ExtractAll _Enter

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks Pascal, that’s great

was searching for this very topic and hope you make this macro into a standard command along the lines of “extractsrfIsocurve” or have it pop up like the standard command does in the command line to make it easier to search for.

Hi Ryan - ExtractWireframe will get you this, but includes the edge curves as well.

-Pascal

1 Like

ahh got it thanks! not to much work to remove what I don’t want, but would be cool to just individually select the isocurve or curves I want extracted. Sort of along the lines of the “move extracted Isocurve” command.