Sluggish Layout

Lag has become unworkable on a Layout in my current project.

One plan detail, 4 elevation details, and an aerial perspective of a 10’x13’ room with two windows, two doors some furniture and decor items, some of them complex. A couple of the furniture objects were linked blocks but I have had to embed them as well in order for them to read in Va Plan Views. The lag preceded the embedding of those blocks though.

I’m deleting things in a test version of the project to determine what’s slowing it down so much, but if anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them.

Project size: 103MB
Occupied Ram: 7.5 of 15.9 GB
processor i7 7700 2.8Ghz
GPU GTX1050i 4GB Ram

Ed: After experimentation with deletions, I’ve tried deleting everything but the wall, mouldings, and windows, but the only time this project becomes manageable is if I delete all but two detail views regardleses of what they show or their view mode. Something’s off here as I have had opther projects with many more details. Something’s slowing this one down This is a va project but the problems are present with Va deactivated. Copying the layout contents to a newly-created layout results in the same lag.

Is this on Rhino V5 or V6? V6 is much, much, much better at this. Do you have a lot of clipping planes? Are the details a display mode with shadows or other interesting things going on?

If my sheet is slow (which again, V6 has for the most part fixed for me), I will first try to hide as much in a detail as can. I’ll make a detail active, select everything I can with a crossing window, invert then hand pick out anything I can see that is still selected, then do a hideInDetail. In the V5 days, I would either switch details temporarily to wire frame, or hide the detail as a last resort to make working of the rest of the sheet not quite so painful, then turn them back for printing.

Also, a shot in the dark, but how is it with things like furniture and doors hidden? you might also want to see if there is something hiding in any items you imported, such as your furniture, see if there are any bad objects such as degenerate mesh faces, or a billion little curves, something odd like that.

Sam

Unfortunately this is a fully current version of V6. The 4 elevations all have shadowed view modes, but converting everything to wireframe mode doesn’t make an appreciable difference.

I onlly have a cliping plane for each interior elevation and another horizontal one to give the walls density in the aerial perspective. I maight as well show the scene here. Maybe it’ll be instantly recognizable as too cluttered with objects for Rhino to handle, I don’t know.

Thanks for the tips on management of a slow file. I’ve had more complicated projects and more windows so I hope to find a fix on this one.

So, if you have more than these two details in the layout and only some simple objects in the views, you have the lag, is that correct? If that is, please save the file in this state and send it to tech@mcneel.com.

-Pascal

Yes Pascal, even then there’s a lag time of about a second; on selections and dragging, for example. With the necessary components it is much more. Add Osnap and Smarttrack and it’s almost unworkiable. Uploading.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

THe layers I’ve turned off in the “Light Layout” to reduce the load have Decor and Furniture in the title and remove pretty much all of the complicated objects from view. Maybe you can identify the most offending objects, or what else might be closing this down so much.

Is there any update on this issue? We are encountering similar slowdowns with multiple details in layout. We particularly see a big slowdown with details that have clipping planes in them.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian - I’ve just had another look at the file uploaded by the ‘OP’ … I can see that selection and dragging is what I would call ‘hesitant’ but there is no great lag, here, certainly not a second, if there is a detail in rendered mode on the layout. Are you also setting some details to use rendered mode?

-Pascal

Pascal,
We have the slowdown regardless of the view style. We tried switching all to wire frame and it is still really slow. For instance, editing text will have a multi second delay if we are viewing the entire layout. Things do speed up however if we zoom into a select area. Which implies to me that it has to do with how Rhino is redrawing the screen after a change is made or the target is shifted.

Optimally Rhino would only have to update the screen in the area of the change, and not have to recalculate the entire viewable area for each change. Now how that is done practically I don’t even know where to start (or if its possible).

Ian

Hi Ian - I don’t know if that might be possible down the road, but it should be able to redraw correctly…
And, just making sure, the lag is when editing objects in layouts, in an active detail, or does it matter? If the lag is in the layout, does it matter if you hide the details?

-Pascal

Pascal,
This lag affects any type of editing while in a layout or active detail.

If we hide enough details then the lag goes away. Generally more than 2 details and things start to bog down. If the details have clipping planes in them then it really bogs down.

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for the details. So to speak. I’ll see what I can find out. I know you’ve probably provided it a few times but could you run SystemInfo and post the results so we have your current info?

@stevebaer - Do you have any ideas?

-Pascal

Is this specific to editing text or does it also happen when say moving a curve’s control point to edit a curve?

It would also be good to make sure that you are testing with the latest SR14 release candidate that we released this week. There have been a number of fixes added with respect to text editing that we found while working on Mac V6.

OP here.

I’ve resurrected the original offending project to check it on 6.13. At the moment there are still big delays working with a layout in the offending project if all detail views are in Rendered display mode with AO (which is the output version of the layout.) There are 6 of them, so maybe I’m up against a limit there.

It’s not so bad atm with wireframe display.

I just installed the latest SRC this morning. Rhino is still really sluggish if I have all my details in shaded mode, and print display on. turning off print display speeds things up a tiny ,bit but going to wireframe now seems much faster. I’ll play around with it a little more to see what else is better.

To clarify for Steve, we have noticed an improvement in text editing but panning/zooming/geometry editing is still slow when not in wireframe mode.

Interestingly, a coworker who is also running the latest SRC still has sluggish response even in wire frame.
he nearly has the same system specs as me. I’ve included our specs per Pascal’s request below.

My system specs:
Rhino 6 SR14 2019-3-5 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19064.4371, Git hash:master @ d340745acddd7cdc24cc31904f467821e90ed976)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-03-05
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name:

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K2000 (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 2-20-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.17

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-20-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1917
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\import_GHS.rhp “General Hydrostatics (GHS) Import”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

His system Specs:
Rhino 6 SR14 2019-3-5 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19064.4371, Git hash:master @ d340745acddd7cdc24cc31904f467821e90ed976)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-03-05
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 24Gb)
Machine name:

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K2000 (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 2-20-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.17

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-20-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1917
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\import_GHS.rhp “General Hydrostatics (GHS) Import”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Ian - As I recall your files tend to be large and complex. If you have occasion to work on anything simpler, is the problem correspondingly less as well?

-Pascal

Pascal,
Yes we are definitely working with large and complex models, so I get that that brings unavoidable slow downs. Also simpler is definitely faster.

For more clarification, what confuses me is that it doesn’t matter how much information is displayed in the details in a single layout. I could have 4 details each displaying the entire model or 4 blank details with nothing visible (I’ve panned each view to a part of model space where no part of the model is visible). So essentially a blank layout (with 4 blank details) is just as laggy as a layout with 4 details each showing the entire model.

Please let me know if that makes sense, or if I need to elaborate further.

Thanks

Hi Ian - thanks, it does not, intuitively, make any sense to me, but but is probably important in sorting it out…

@stevebaer, fyi again… If that is not a known thing, I guess I need to get a hefty enough model going so I can repeat this and make a proper YT item.

-Pascal

If you have a sample that exhibits the behavior, I’ll be more than happy to take a look.

I’m trying to get a good example. its a little tough to replicate our existing model.
I have been able to narrow the issue down to clipped blocks. If I worksession in a large file then the layouts are much faster than if I have linked and embedded a block into the model. My best guess is that this has to do with how blocks are clipped versus objects in a worksession.

Unfortunately we have to use blocks because worksessions don’t remember layerstates in details.

I’ll keep trying to get a good example put together that I can send over.

Ian