Simplest Way to Sync All Rhino Customizations Across Multiple Computers?

I’m looking for recommendations to sync my customized Rhino settings across multiple computers. I’m currently using Rhino 8 on Windows with two laptops and one desktop. I want to export all my settings to the cloud, ideally using OneDrive or Dropbox.

I’ve customized various aspects, including:

• Aliases
  • Shortcuts
  • User interface (toolbars, viewports, panels, middle-click menu)
  • Display styles
  • Lineweights
  • Templates

The challenge is that I make improvements to these settings on different computers, such as adding lineweights or reorganizing toolbars and panels. I’m struggling to find the most efficient way to keep all these settings in sync across all my devices.

I read this but it left me scratching my head, and hoping there is an easier way (Transferring Personalized Settings [McNeel Wiki])

Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

State of the Art is Git and a cloud solution. E.g. Github, Gitlab, or just a git repository stored on OneDrive or DropBox. But any version management tool will do the trick. Git has a steep learning curve, but it will save you time as soon as you get used to it. It depends a bit if you deal with text or binary data. If you also write scripts or plugin, then its the perfect solution. Not so much for versioning large binary data, such as .3dm files, but its also suited.

Thanks @TomTom. Since I’m using Rhino 8, I’m unsure of the “best” or “right” way to copy over my toolbars/workspace. Also, is the list below going to grab everything? Including lineweights? I’d like to be sure to grab as many customizations as possible.

Wiki Excerpts (Transferring Personalized Settings [McNeel Wiki]):

For V6 and later - within the same version : The easiest way is to simply copy the settings-Scheme_Default.xml file from one installation to the other, replacing the original. The file is located at C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros<version number>\settings .

V6 and later: Replace the existing settings-Scheme_Default.xml file with the one copied from the previous install

• Copy your workspace, template, emaps, scripts, files to appropriate locations.
  • V8: Workspace transfer procedure to be announced
  • Install any plug-ins that Rhino did not automatically transfer
  • Set Rhino up to open with your custom template.
  • Set file paths to scripts, templates, etc. if they are non-standard.
    Last edited 13.09.23 MSH/Helvetosaur

I don’t know which files to use, because I’m not using Rh8. But once you know which are the right ones, you could version control them with Git. I though this was your question about =“sync”. Hope that makes sense. Then you also see what you have changed, and you could revert unwanted changes. I think you are not doing something wrong when learning some Git basics. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, I’m curious both about how other people sync and also how they are exporting their settings. Especially in Rhino 8. Thanks for the help @TomTom