Selection filter objects within groups

Is there a way to select whole objects within groups (Ctrl + Shift + left click) without triggering the sub-objects menu during a command?

Related:

Hello - for now, that macro with the script should do what you need- are you finding that does not work?

-Pascal

Thanks. Short answer, not really. It’s an extra step to insert within a command or to remember to run if I’m just picking. I’m seeking to avoid this extra step.

@mikko -Hi Mikko- it seems to me there is a provision for this but I cannot recall for sure, nor where to set it if it is there - am I just making things up?

-Pascal

@pascal Pascal, thanks for looking into this. For those of us who use groups, sub object picking is a recurring conflict.

Any further clarity on this one? Thanks.

Hi anon -
You can use Ctrl+Shift+Window-Select to select objects in the group without getting the selection menu to pop up.

Out of the box, this will also sub-select parts of objects in the group, but setting the advanced Rhino.Options.General.ControlShiftSubObjectSelect setting to False will make this only select entire objects.
-wim

Thanks - I have that subobject selection variable selection turned off already. The subobject selection menu still pops up, but apparently only for grouped objects.

System Info

Rhino 7 SR20 2022-7-12 (Rhino 7, 7.20.22193.09001, Git hash:master @ 9b19bfdb8c343dd6fa8df3514068defd72273d6f)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-07-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.16299 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (NVidia) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 7-24-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 432.00
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-24-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3200
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

To be clear, I mean that the Rhino.Options.General.ControlShiftSubObjectSelect variable is failing. True and false create the same behavior.

Any word, folks? Do we have a bug in Rhino.Options.General.ControlShiftSubObjectSelect? Thanks.

I’m a bit flummoxed by this piecemeal forum-based approach to resolving a possible bug. I don’t mean to complain, but does bumping the topic help get attention?

I must believe I’m not the only person with this problem - or if I am, I’d love to know how to fix it.

Thanks as always.

@pascal @mikko

@pascal @mikko @wim

I am reporting a possible bug. I believe Rhino.Options.General.ControlShiftSubObjectSelect variable is failing for objects within groups. With this variable false, the subobject menu pops up when clicking on objects within groups.

Hello- I see that that setting seems not to be applied in general, if I am seeing clearly - Ctrl-Shift selet always happens. It may be an obsolete setting, I don’t know.

-Pascal

Thanks. So without the macro, there’s no way at all to avoid the ctrl+shift subobjects menu? Of what use is the variable? Maybe someone else can chime in.

I’m basically trying to get objects within groups to behave as I tell Rhino to.

Hi folks. Any word on this issue? Am I the only person encountering the apparent failure of the Rhino.Options.General.ControlShiftSubObjectSelect variable for grouped objects?

@pascal @mikko @wim

I can repeat this here. Looks like that setting in Options might not be hooked up to anything. Doesn’t appear to be any different in V8 either.

@Helvetosaur it does, but only works for Window Selection. I feel though that would make sense for normal selection too.

Any word from McNeel on this? Thanks.

This needs a bump again. It’s a terribly frustrating problem for the use of groups and subobjects. Please, can someone provide some insight, or just tell me that I’m screwed forevermore?

Thanks.

@pascal @mikko @wim

Hi, can you please let me know if you agree or disagree that this is a bug, and if so, what, if anything, McNeel is planning on doing about it?

Thanks