Selection filter objects within groups

Hi @anon

I’m sorry for the slowness in response, this is by no means intentional.

There is currently in Rhino V8 WIP a way to get what you want, by enabling
Rhino.Options.General.MouseOverHighlightSubObjects

To make it more clear I’ve changed
Rhino.Options.ChooseOneObject.HighlightColor to a custom color.

This is what you will be able to do:

1 Like

@Gijs

Thank you for the reply and the update. I see the video you posted and I’ve downloaded the latest WIP (8.0.23066.13185). Either I am just confused, or I think I need to restate the problem:

-I would like a way to prevent subobject selection altogether. I believe the use of shift+select still initiates subobject selection, and this is a conflict with the method of selecting objects in a group.
-I would like use of shift+select to select an object within a group - like it did in some old days of yore, before said conflict - not subobjects contained therein.

Am I missing something from the video, or an option in the new WIP?

Thanks.

-A

When was Rhino behaving in the way you describe? I’m having a hard time finding where this was the case. I’ve checked all the way up to version 4, and they all behave the same. I think the way you can currently do it as I show in the video is the closest you can do, at least for now, without getting a popup selection window.

It behaved like I described before the advent of subobjects at least. When was that, Rhino 4? I don’t remember subobjects in Rhino 4. But the point is not when Rhino behaved like I said, but the behavior itself, which is a current issue.

I’ll say it for clarity again: I’m begging McNeel to let me shut off subobject selection but Rhino will not let me for objects within groups. I’ve tried Rhino.Options.General.MouseOverHighlightSubObjects = True in the latest WIP and this unfortunately does not prevent subobjects from being selected.

I know it’s not from your standpoint, but it will certainly help if it is a regression. If it is a regression it needs to be fixed, otherwise it becomes one of the many wish list items.
I just checked in Rhino 6 with the advanced setting Rhino.Options.General.ControlShiftSubObjectSelect to False, and there it becomes possible to select objects directly, without the menu, but only then when selecting on faces of a polysurface. Edges will still invoke the menu.

I’ve added RH-73606 Selecting objects in groups without getting a popup menu