Section Command not working properly

Hello,

Since the latest Rhino 7 update the section command has been giving strange results. I took several section over a solid and got the following result:

The curves that are showing are somewhat random.
I contacted McNeel already and they have informed me to report it as a bug. I was wondering if someone else had experienced the same problem.

P.S: I have updated all my drivers and tried this on several other solids where the section command would work properly, this is a new bug that came up.

1 Like

Perhaps you could post a file with the object, difficult to know what’s happening from an image.

In looking at it, I wonder if you have an internal G1 (Tangent) joint that is causing the problem. If you run DivideAlongCreases, set the option SplitAtTangents=Yes and then select the object and Enter, does Section behave correctly after?

section-command-problem.3dm (282.9 KB)

This is the part.

I tried DivideAlongCreases but it was unable to divide the the surfaces.
I don’t think it’s related to the solid in question as I have tried the section command on other geometry and still get the same result. I’ve attached a second model with some parts where Section gives strange results.
section-command-problem-2.3dm (131.3 KB)

Hmm, I tried all sorts of sections on your first object here and couldn’t get it to misbehave… There were no indications of how you were sectioning it, but I tried from different directions in Front, Top and Left.

I opened the second file but it seems to be empty…?

I’m using the current 7.16 release candidate (7.16.22046.13061, 2022-02-15)

Do you have the V-Ray plug-in installed?

Both Contour and Section seem to behave OK here - can you please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here?

-Pascal

Hi All, Thank you for your replies.

Here is the second file again, apologies for the wrong export; this is the section that I get over the solids
section-command-problem-2.3dm (604.9 KB)
:

I currently have Version 7 SR15
(7.15.22039.13001, 2022-02-08)

I don’t have the V-Ray plug-in.

This is the output of SystemInfo:

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [77% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 10-14-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-5-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 452.96
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-5-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5296
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\VictorM\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2020.12.7.446\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Thanks!

I get a complete section here, but I’m on the current 7.16 release candidate, not 7.15 release.

ok I see, I tried to check for updates but it says I have the latest version.
I guess I will have to wait until 7.16 becomes available to me.

Thank you for your help @Helvetosaur !

You can get release candidates (if you want) by going into Options>Updates and Statistics and setting it to “Release Candidate”:

For the current one, you probably have to use the check now… link and download the latest rc manually.

1 Like

I see - what’s the difference between service release and service release candidate ?

Service releases are “official” ‘stable’ releases, they happen more or less monthly. Release candidates happen weekly and contain changes that have not been tested as extensively as release versions, and so they might have new bugs - but also fixes for existing bugs that have not made it into the release versions. The purpose of release candidates is to allow more extensive testing by the users that are willing to take some minor risks.

Thanks for the explanation - I will have a look what I can do - good to know that it is solved in the next version though.