Saved layer visibility sets

Feature request:

I am working on a very large model with probably over a hundred layers, many of which are nested.

In order to effectively work on the model, partly due to size of file and partly in order to see the elements that are being worked on, I regularly have to turn off numerous layers which are scattered around the layer nesting hierarchy.

I would LOVE a feature that allows the saving of a ‘default’ layer visibility for a given file. Even better if you could save several, much like how saved views works that allows you to automatically turn on or off numerous layers in an instant. It would also give you more confidence that all the correct layers have been turned back on when required.

Even better if these saved visibility sets could be linked to saved views so that for any given saved view you could automatically turn on and off geometry.

I have posted this in the windows version area but I’m assuming it would apply to Mac too if ever implemented.

1 Like

You might have a look at the LayerStateManager and see if it does what you want… --Mitch

1 Like

that might well be it! fantastic, best feature request solution is when the feature already exists.

I’ll have a play and see if it is what I am after

This has just been added to Mac Rhino for version 5.1, you’re in luck… --Mitch

Having just had a go with it, I think it does do what I am after. Thanks so much.

It would still be really amazing to link saved layer states to saved views.

upon more use, I have discovered what appears to be a bug. Sometimes the layer states are applied to all viewports and sometimes to just the active one. This is pretty confusing with the current UI because some layers are shown as turned off but can still appear in some viewports.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s odd as well. In principle if a Rhino layer is on or off, it’s either visible in all viewports or none. Somehow it seems your display is having trouble updating.

I think all the plug-in does is save sets of layer on/off/locked states and restore them, in the same way as if you manually checked and unchecked each layer. So if there is a display problem, I surmise that it’s not coming directly from the layer state manager, but rather from the fact that a bunch of layers are being changed at once and the display is glitching… That’s just a theory mind you…

–Mitch

I would post a screenshot but what I am working on is somewhat confidential!

The mismatch seems connected to the viewport display mode. For example, all of the viewports in wireframe mode change together but the one I have set to shaded doesn’t update at the same time. I can force them all to update by activating one and them applying the layer state again.

In all honesty, being able to actively control different layer states for different viewports would be an interesting feature if it could be reliably controlled with a good UI.

Yeah, that, coupled with your other post about turning on backface coloring making some objects disappear, makes me think you have video card/driver issues here. What card/driver do you have? Drivers up to date?

–Mitch

I have a 2012 mac book pro retina with a nvidia GT 650m running the latest release of Mac OS X Yosemite (not brave enough to try El Capitan yet though in case it breaks things. I need some serious time to test it before updating.

I also had the whole machine pretty much replaced under the graphics card recall. They replaced the entire top case and motherboard only about 6 months ago.

I suspect it is likely more to do with the size of the file which perhaps the graphics card is not able to handle properly. It is 550MB!

I’m often up in 2GB size of files and I would say that size will mostly have an effect on things getting sluggish. Other effects, like some viewports redrawing, feedback missing, objects disappearing when checking backface coloring, etc… will get noticed with small files as well. At that point it’s the card / driver combination that’s at the source of grief. And newer isn’t always better…

1 Like

Well, the GT650M I think has 1Gb of video RAM, and that needs to power a retina display (Macbooks have always been underpowered graphically). If you have a scene that “weighs” half a gig, I suspect the graphics card is just not up to the task.

–Mitch

I do have a 27" external monitor plugged in too! Hopefully we can get some upgraded hardware one day.

having now deleted a number of complex elements from the scene to make it more manageable it appears that the layer state manager has screwed up my file. I now cannot get one of the viewports to update with changes in layer visibility. I have tried deleting the saved layer states but that hasn’t helped.

I wish I could upload screen shots and / or the model!

@Helvetosaur any thoughts?

@dan @John_Brock @pascal

1 Like

could be as simple as a damaged Viewport.
You can replace all the viewports with the 4View command, or you can “close” the viewport (in the viewport menu) to get rid of it, then run the NewViewport command to make a new one.
Using Viewport properties, set the projection and name, then drag it into place.

1 Like

You can just drag and drop files into your message. Or use the upload button on top.

As robinp stated in an earlier post, it’s a confidentiality issue, not a discourse knowledge issue.

2 Likes

I originally posted this in rhino for Windows because of its feature request nature. I’ve changed it now to rhino for Mac because it seems the issue has been mostly implemented but has some bugs.

@John_Brock is there a way to close a viewport on the Mac? Is it possible to reset to default 4 viewport layout on the mac?

No, not on the Mac.
You will need to start a new file (new viewports) and import the file giving you problems, leaving the potentially damaged viewports behind…

1 Like

Hi,
I’m experiencing same issue as robinp. Changing layers configuration via Layer State Manager is behaving wrongly. Take a look at the screen shot attached. As you can see, ortogonal viewport are showing layer state 2D design 01, but perspective viewport shows layer state 3D design 01 though I can`t select anything in perspective, they’re like ghost objects. Tonight I’ll upload the actual file, I’m now at public library and internet connection is quite slow for uploading…

José

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.1 (5B161)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.11.1 (Build 15B42)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB