Save textures Issue

Hi,
I have a problem with Rhino 6 Save Textures.
At my work I need sometimes to copy the objects from an old project to a new one. When I export an object with Save Textures checked, I get the file with the textures in it, and when I open it, the textures are automatically transported into the new folder “…_embedded_files”. The problem is that the materials in the file instead of redirecting the textures adress to this new folder continue to use the old address of the textures.
The projects are often located on different servers and if the textures are not on the same server with the model, it makes Rhino work much slower.

Hi Andrew - I believe what happens is the textures fall back to the Embedded files folder if the actual path fails - if the path is valid to begin with then it uses that. I see what you’re getting at and I do not know how to help, off hand.
@andy - do you have an idea? Can we make a ‘RedirectAllTextures’?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

thanks for your reply.
It would be really great to get a possibility to redirect the textures with one command.

• Andrew

Any updates on this? It gets very complicated when a project location needs to be moved, especially when we all are working from home.

1 Like

Hello - in V7, try RenderReportMissingImageFiles. Un-check ‘Show only missing image files’ to see all of them. Use the Bulk Replace button to point the textures to a new location.

-Pascal

Great news. I will check it out.
Thank you very much.

When I save as with textures, sometimes it doesn’t create a separate folder for “embedded files” I’m a bit confused about this. How does this actually work? I thought Rhino doesn’t actually embed pictures and textures inside the file.

Hello - in theory, if the textures are found on the machine where the file is opened, then no folder should be created.

-Pascal

Then, how do I move the project to a different location with all textures/pictures?

Hello - you point it at a folder where the textures actually are - that has to exist of course.

-Pascal

okay, I understand, thank you. That’s unfortunate in a case where it is a massive texture folder structure that cannot be easily copied entirely. I was hoping there’s way to grab only textures that are used in the file.

If the textures are locally saved already, then save as with textures does nothing?

Correct as long as the file will only ever be used on that machine - but if you do not save the textures in the file (default) then they will of course not show on another computer, say if you share the file.

-Pascal