Running Rhino on a 3200x1800 screen?

Hi All,

I am currently on the market for a new laptop/workstation. While doing some initial research I noticed that the new Dell Precision line, specifically the m3800 and the m4800, both feature 3200x1800 screens if one also wants 16 GB of memory (one does). Now I would certainly prefer a 1920x1200 screen if that was an option, but it seems that it is not!

Do any of you have any experience running Rhino and Grasshopper and/or other CAD/Graphic software on such high resolution screens? Furthermore, does McNeel have any official recommendations regarding screen resolution? I suppose that these high resolutions are coming whether we want them or not. Just like those horrible glossy screens…

Thanks,

Anders

My MacBookPro retina screen is 2880x1800 and Rhino works fine: both the Mac and Windows (under Parallels) versions.
To be honest, I never thought to question whether it would, assuming there was no reason it shouldn’t.

I’m sure that any laptop you buy with a high-res screen will have a video card that supports it. The question of how well it supports Rhino from a performance point of view is still there, just as it always has been. That does come down to which video card they use and how many graphics processors it has and how much graphics memory.

I must say that the text can be pretty small on these screens, which is good if your eyes are up to it but tough on aging eyes. The icons can be tougher to hit with the mouse also. I’m on the borderline so I notice it but I haven’t yet explored what the options are for making things bigger. As long as they are small they don’t encroach as much on the viewport space.

My advice is that the high resolution is great, but pay attention to what video card the mfr. installs to drive it just like you would with a lower-res screen.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s great to hear that it does actually work. The whole “small text/tiny icon” thing is my main concern as I already have a tendency to slowly lean into the screen (good old manual zoom). Perhaps I should just track one down and see how it fits in person before deciding on anything. Thanks again. Best, Anders

With a System Registry key addition and copying a manifest file to the folder where 64-bit Rhino V5 lives, you can fix the small icon problem on high resolution monitors.

The details are in this new FAQ support document:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/video/highres/toolbars_and_text_too_small_in_64-bit_rhino_5_on_high_resolution_screen

This also fixes the same issue for Grasshopper in 64-bit V5