Rotate object 3D view too wild in V7 what setting make as V5?

Hi,
In V5 perspective view, I can shove hand an object until e.g a bolt on it is central to my view then hold down right mouse button and move cursor down screen 1mm and bolt moves lets say 15mm as my view becomes more of its far side.
In V7 I do the shove ok then that very same 1mm right mouse button move sees bolt in a wild move 80mm down screen and bolt goes off screen and just grid is in view.
same magnification etc, in fact v5 left half screen, v7 right half. comparing both side by side., same file open etc.

I can with this bolt on side of a cylinder rotate and come back round to it, a barrel roll in a tiger moth ! so I am rotating with the centre of rotation near the bolt and within the cylinder, in V7 I am completely way off, I dont come back round at all, as if my tiger moth has lost a wing !

what setting is differing between v5 and v7 as comparing properties I cannot find it.

I have set up V7 exact as V5 , comparing property settings as I go.
Must have missed this somewhere, else V7 has a terrible/unusable 3D rotate function., hope not.

I am in same perspective view, in viewport properties. The viewport properties options windows is very different now.

Steve

No you haven’t missed anything, the viewport rotation function changed from V5 to V6. Terrible/unusable it is not, but it takes some getting used to. You will find the need to recenter the view rotation more often than in V5 or earlier; via a Zoom>Selected or a Zoom>Window on the desired object/area (in your example above, the bolt). Once centered correctly it behaves much like V5, but it has a tendency to lose its center more often.

Some related posts:

(check out post #6)

Also, make sure you have “Auto adjust camera…” checked as below:

Hi,
@Helvetosaur
@mikko
I have hoped and prayed since posting this that I missed a setting, I dont experience the 'adjustment is needed after a while,…instead the slightest mouse movement and my item whips off screen, thats USELESS IN THE EXTREME.

It was essential I fix it and back up PC today.

THIS WAS SO VERY FUNDAMENTAL, I AM ALWAYS MOVING ABOUT AND ROTATING ABOUT WHERE MY MOUSE IS, CONTINUALLY. I CAN AS MY WORKFLOW NEEDS, DO SO AS IF FLYING A SPITFIRE, YOU THINK IT AND IT DOES IT SORT OF THING.
there are times it does whip about, its not repeatable , but zooming into an item sees rotation about that item.
Now we have to select that zoom tool and draw a box.

THIS IS BROKEN, Msoft are supposed to break things that worked, but not McNeel. :hot_face:

The slightest movement and my item area of interest I rotate about is GONE OFF SCREEN.
Thats not adjust every so often. After the box is drawn I find generally its staying within vision.

Q1. Can a keyboard shortcut be made to place a box screen centre, saves for reaching for another tool losing the tool one was working with ?

The zoom box is get zoom tool, drag box, rotate the object, readjust after a few moves, repeat, pan, repeat the whole process. getting hold of the tool one was using after dragging box each time.
Takes ages compare to when no other tool was needed in V5.
Flying a Fairey Battle v Spitfire !

Q2. I see no Zoom>selected, where is that ? Though selecting to rotate spoils the view especially if I was after doing a printscreen of colours, and not eisking deletion or moving things.

V5 rotated about where one had panned to, in other words it rotated about the screen centre knowing that the object in your vision nearest you, was your wanted item, this V7 rotates about as if the object is somewhere in the distance ! why would anyone be interested in rotating an object far away. The foreground gets thrown off screen immediateley, well almost, its at edge of screen in a mm of mouse move.

Hi Jarek,
So we’re talking about this:

I need to uncheck that?

Thx, --Mitch

Q3. but you say tick it ?

Q4. also I cant see post#6, forum doesnt put numbers to posts any more (broken) but counting them one has only 5 and the other #6 is nothing aha moment.

This is very disappointing, makes me now want to carry on with V5.
Its a function I did VERY OFTEN without thinking.

Q5. Another thread on this problem suggests View Set camera Place Target, that then gives rotation about the object targeted. Means targeting each item that is at end of mouse, and even more clicks before rotating the object.
To have to navigate an entire menu and sub menu is too long winded.
What would be the script for a Ctrl+K key for this ? that should speed things up.
Q6. What also is the antidote as I have used set target a few times since V4 and cannot then undo it for a general object rotate.

V7 has been a struggle, taking ages, recreating Document Properties per Template by hand, adjusting to suit inches or mm or metres, recreating RhinoOptions one setting at a time.
Today was D Day, 2 weeks late in my win10 Rhino install build (rebuild in fact,.July went wrong win10 acting up right left and centre, now I have all new hardware, and I am skint), today was critical, all I need to do is fix the 3D rotate then I can declare V7, on what I have found so far, acceptable and do an Acronis back up, (only backup working, not with notes on faulty added to it !) then try for referencing scripts and so on, then back up again, then continue with win10 build as now 3 weeks behind thanks to 2 weeks V7, having to manually set up V7 in all settings, and a week to solve Outlook advanced find not working, also screen saver and solve Msoft breaking the Recent Places VITAL option for saving to a folder from wherever one wishes to. (Browsing each time to do a save is very slow workflow)

V5 is all as it was, and its lovely.

This V7 issue wont get fixed anytime soon if ever.

Backup and use V5 perhaps.

Steve

Steve -
As Mitch writes, this behavior probably takes some time to get used to.
I recommend creating an ZT alias for Zoom Target that you can use to quickly make sure that the camera target is in the correct place.
Other than that, you could try to rotate the view with the Ctrl and Shift keys held. The view will then rotate around the place where the mouse was when you start rotating.
-wim

1 Like

Steve,

This will help.

If you have a middle button on your mouse, make this setting:

(Or stick it on a convenient keyboard button if not.)

Then when you want to rotate about an object and Rhino isn’t playing nicely, select that object and then click the middle button (or the convenient one). You will find subsequent rotation works very tidily.

Incidentally, this command moves the object to the centre of the view, so you won’t have to drag it there as you describe in your first post. The whole process can therefore be quicker than before.

HTH
Jeremy

Hi,
Wim, I owe you a pint, truly, how can I pay for it ? Ctrl shift and it rotates about the mouse just as V5.

Thats it, simple and it works.

That was a fundamental failing, and we have a simple two key fix.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW THAT ONE.

Jeremy, thanks, middle wheel alters speed of mouse so leave that alone.
a key with macro perhaps, but Wim’s fix does it a treat.
Ctrl K would do as a key combo,

does _MoveTargetToObjects need a prefix of ! as a lot of key commands have from what I see ?

I google the use of !, I try various wordings, nothing out there tells me what the ! does.

This is how I find learning, nothing out there on what I want to know about.

a McNeel article puts it in without saying why.

I try it and it works so presume it does.

Ctrl K and select object then rmb tumble works with object in screen centre, and deselected . many Thanks.
2nd option now :grinning:

FANTASTIC.

Now to backup v7. oh bliss, I can move on.
Next after that is try referencing scripts, pythons etc.
Some will cause errors, as already experiencing.

Steve

Also beyond my comprehension, but it can be fixed with a workaround (It was one of first things I searched for, until I had a solution), let me find this for you.
Edit:
@Steve1 see if this helps. There are many more posted solutions if you search for it, so I cannot give any guarantees: Windows 10 Tutorials: Restore Recent Places Function to Windows 10 - Dragon Blogger Technology

The ! command is explained in the help file in the section on Command Macros and Scripting here: Rhinoceros Help - Rhino scripting | Rhino 3-D modeling (mcneel.com)

As you seem to be quite involved in adding macros to your new R7 setup right now, I’d recommend a review of this part of the help material.

Incidentally, now you have your new PC, you might consider saving towards a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse to supplement your “normal” mouse. The SpaceMouse is designed to take over the navigation commands such as Pan, Zoom and Rotate and do those things well. Thoroughly recommended.

Not sure I agree. I bought a 3d connection Spacemouse with bonus points from my purchase of a new Dell workstation a year ago. It’s very well thought out mechanically and I’m sure it works well for anyone who has put in the time to learn it.

My experience is that it is very hard to get used to as it is normally used with the non-dominant hand and requires a completely new set of motions to control. In other words: not intuitive at all (except for folks like you who have been using it for years).

Trying to learn it while trying to do all the other unwelcome but necessary tasks associated with deploying a new computer/operating system/CAD software version just isn’t a good idea IMHO.

I think it might be something to consider when the dust settles and the paying jobs are at a lull to allow experimenting and practicing. Not cheap, though.